Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

how to schedule dataset refresh by a dependency outside of PBI

Is it possible to schedule a dataset refresh by a dependency on something outside of PBI?  For example, I have a dataset that I don't want refreshed until a certain SQL job runs.  That SQL job usually runs on Monday afternoons.  But, it could run on Tuesday.  However, in the PBI service, I only have options for daily or weekly refreshes.  So, currently, as my workaround, I have the report refresh daily.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

You could do this by using the Power BI REST API which you can call to refresh a dataset.

I actually use Power Automate these days where I look for a specific email from my SQL Server when the job completes. When I receive this email Power Automate then refreshes the dataset.

Refresh your Power BI dataset using Microsoft Flow | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

You could do this by using the Power BI REST API which you can call to refresh a dataset.

I actually use Power Automate these days where I look for a specific email from my SQL Server when the job completes. When I receive this email Power Automate then refreshes the dataset.

Refresh your Power BI dataset using Microsoft Flow | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors