Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

how to promote model and report through pipeline for shared dataset architecture

I am trying to optimize my company's shared dataset code promotion procedure.  I suspect that we're doing something wrong.

We use PBI in the cloud (not Report Server), shared capacity (not Premium).  Our deployment "pipeline" goes Dev-Test-UAT-Prod.  We have a separate app workspace to represent each of these stages.  We publish our pbix files by placing them into a OneDrive folder that is synced with a SharePoint document library (actually, 1 library for each pipeline stage), and SharePoint automatically persists these files into the PBI service (i.e., 1:1 correspondence between SharePoint document library and PBI service app workspace).  We have a handful of "model" pbix files that generate datasets (no visuals, just model).  We have lots of "report" pbix files that consume from these datasets.  Sometimes, we need to update both the model pbix file and the affected report pbix files.  With our pipeline, we're finding this to be a very cumbersome process.  As an example of the code promotion from UAT to Prod for this situation, we have to:

1) on our local machines, place the UAT model file into the Prod OneDrive folder (almost no wait time to sync with Prod SharePoint doc library)

2) wait for the new Prod model file (current UAT model file) to persist from the Prod SharePoint doc library to the Prod PBI service app workspace (usually have a wait time of 15 minutes)

3) run a manual refresh of the model file's dataset in the Prod PBI service app workspace (since the model data will inherit the old data from our local machines) (refresh can take about an hour)

4) on our local machines, update the UAT report file's dataset to be Prod (Transform data \ Data source settings \ select the model dataset in the Prod PBI app workspace)

5) on our local machines, place the UAT report file into the Prod OneDrive folder

6) wait for the new Prod report file to persist from the Prod SharePoint doc library to the Prod PBI service app workspace (again, about 15 minutes)

7) update the Prod PBI app

Seven steps isn't too bad for just 1 stage.  But, when scaled by our number of target stages (i.e., 3), this becomes a very slow process.  Hence, this doesn't seem right.

How should this be done?  Or, how can this be optimized?  (To be sure, we will not be upgrading to Premium, and we will not grant testers / consumers access to the app workspaces -- only to the apps.)

2 REPLIES 2
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, 

According to your description, do you mean that you want to optimize the efficiency of step 3 in your steps?

It seems to be a data refresh process, I think you can follow this best practice document for data refresh to check if it’s possible to be improved:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data#best-practices

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-robertq-msft 

No, that is not what I mean.  Rather, is my 7-step procedure correct for this situation (update to model file and report files)?  It doesn't seem right that there are this many steps involved for each stage.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors