Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Haritha
Frequent Visitor

how to pass parameter in Azure table Storage?

Hi Team,

How to pass Query parameter to  URL of  Power BI Service in which the data is imported through "Azure table Storage".Please find the below URL  , Table Name,Column name

URL : https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/reports/ReportSection?

Azure Table Name : tablename

Column name : UserID

Please help !how to pass "USERID" parameter to power bi report and get user specific report in  Power BI Service.
Thanks in Advance !

10 REPLIES 10
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You could use standard query parameters to do this potentially if it is OK that each user would have to set this parameter to their user id. Otherwise, perhaps @ImkeF knows of a way to grab the user id autmagically in M code.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks ! But I need how to pass the column "USERID" as a Query parameter to filter the  Power BI URL and also to get the User specific report .

For Example : Let us assume an example for "Azure Sql Server", below is the Power BI URL to pass the "USERID as the Query parameter in the URL which contains

Table Name : tablename
Column name : USERID
value : 'abc@xyz.com'

https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/reports/ReportSection?filter=table name/USERID eq 'abc@xyz.com'

the above  URL is perfectly filtering the report with respect to "USERID", since the Power BI data is imported from "Azure SQL Server"

For Example : Let us assume an Example for "Azure table Storage" ,below is the Power BI URL to pass the "UserID" as the Query parameter in the URL which contains:

value : xyz@abc.com

https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/reports/ReportSection?filter=tablename/UserID eq 'xyz@abc.com'

the above URl is not filtering the report with respect to "UserID" .Since the Power BI  data is imported from "Azure table Storage."

Please help !

Unfortunately, there is no native M-function to grab the user id.

But one should keep in mind, that this wouldn't work as a security, as the M-code could always be manipulated.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Haritha
Frequent Visitor

Thanks ! But I need how to pass the column "USERID" as a Query parameter to filter the  Power BI URL and also to get the User specific report .

For Example : Let us assume an example for "Azure Sql Server", below is the Power BI URL to pass the "USERID as the Query parameter in the URL which contains

Column name : USERID
value : 'abc@xyz.com'

https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/reports/ReportSection?filter=table name/USERID eq 'abc@xyz.com'

the above  URL is perfectly filtering the report with respect to "USERID", since the Power BI data is imported from "Azure SQL Server"

For Example : Let us assume an Example for "Azure table Storage" ,below is the Power BI URL to pass the "UserID" as the Query parameter in the URL which contains:

value : xyz@abc.com

https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/reports/ReportSection?filter=tablename/UserID eq 'xyz@abc.com'

the above URl is not filtering the report with respect to "UserID" .Since the Power BI  data is imported from "Azure table Storage."

Please help !

Yes, that's a different animal here.

So you have a table with different user names in one column.

And want to pass each of it as a parameter?

Are you attempting to:

1) create one table for each different user or

2)  get one big table with all (different) users data in one big table?

For 1) You can retrieve the value from a single cell from a table by navigating to it like so: TableName[ColumnName]{RowIndexNumber}

So the square brackets select the column and the curly brackets contain the row index (PQ counts zero-based)

For 2) You would have to transform your webcall to a function with the username as a parameter (or the specific url) and call that from a custom column. That would fetch all relevant tables in an additional columna which you just have to expand.

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Haritha
Frequent Visitor

But , Actually I have created a Power BI report in Power BI Desktop application using the dataset source from "Azure Table Storage" with  corresponding  Table .Then I have published my report to Power BI Service so now I got a Power BI URL . What I need is  just I need to filter the power BI URL based on "UserID" column. so  I have used the below "Query Filter condition" in the URL to filter only the specific user from among all the different users.

For Example If I am using the below URL to display only  particular user's data alone in the power BI Service report :

Table name : tablename
Columnname : UserID
Value : xyz@abc.com

I am not getting the only the "xyz@abc.com" data alone in the result , Instead it is fetching all the different UserId's data .Please help how i need to change the above Power BI "URL query  filter conditions".

Maybe this goes into the right direction:

Web.Contents("https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/reports/ReportSection?filter=tablename/UserID" & tablename[UserID]{0}

.. assuming the desired username sits in the first row.

Haritha
Frequent Visitor

No, Even though I modified my Power BI Url like the URL format which you shared, it is not fetching only particular/specific user 's data in my power BI Report  , still it is fetching all the data with respect to all different users in my report. kindly refer my previous post which I said earlier     "we imported our data into Power BI  from Azure table Storage" table.

Please help me out how I can modify the below Power BI url filter conditions  to fetch the only specific user report.

Table name : tablename
Columnname : UserID
Value : xyz@abc.com

https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/reports/ReportSection?filter=tablename/UserID eq 'xyz@abc.com' 

Hi @Haritha

It seems you want different users see their own data rather than all data on a report.

I would suggest you to apply RLS for your dataset.

So that when you share a report with someone, then he logs in Power BI service with his account, he can only see his own data instead of all data.

Reference here:

Power BI – Dynamic Row Level Security – Tips to get it working!

RLS with Power BI

If you have any problem, please let me know.

Best Regards

Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I'm not familiar with the exact URL you have to use for that service, but the general principle is to incorporate values from variables like so (use " as escape signs and the & to combine the variable)

"(PartsOf)YourURLHere" & yourVariable & "OptionalOtherURLPartsHere"

You have to check for the correct URL-syntax. Could it be you have to use an equality sign ("=") instead of letters?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors