Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

how to not break bars order with removing "order" field

I have a bar chart displaying value over the period (3 months buckets from youngest to oldest)

age.PNG

data looks like that:

age data.PNG

Sorting the chart didn't help, so I added column age-order so I can display it the way I need (to display values from "less than 3 months" to "older than 60 months"), I was only able to use "age-order" in the tooltip but of cause it shows in the tooltip

so the question is: are there other options? I don't want the end user to see it in the tooltip

Thank you

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @Anonymous ,

In your scenario, we should insert an age column in power query and make the table sorted by the custom column.We can split the Age column firstly, then we can insert a custom column by the splited columns and remove the unnecessary columns. Here is the M code for your reference.

l

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("Xc87CsAgEEXRvUxt4S9G1yIiQgQLoxDdP4EQmGHqA493Y4Re18q7lZFNvufYbYEABUlQckiaUUAyjJRGs9w82sFMWzTHzJArJzNLNj0vkGjhs9mv+hD8yyWk9AI=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Age = _t, values = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Age", type text}, {"values", Int64.Type}}),
#"Duplicated Column" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Changed Type", "Age", "Age - Copy"),
#"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Duplicated Column", "Age", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("_", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Age.1", "Age.2", "Age.3", "Age.4"}),
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Age.1", type text}, {"Age.2", type text}, {"Age.3", Int64.Type}, {"Age.4", type text}}),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type1",{"Age.2", "Age.4"}),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Custom", each if [Age.1]="less" then [Age.3] else if [Age.1] = "older" then [Age.3]+1 else [Age.3]),
#"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Age.1", "Age.3"}),
#"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Removed Columns1",{{"Custom", Order.Ascending}})
in
#"Sorted Rows"

Then we can get the result as we excepted.

Capture.PNGresult.PNG

PBIX as attached.

Regards,
Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @Anonymous ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as the solution to close the case please. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Frank

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
acbg
Resolver III
Resolver III

@Anonymous within Data select Age column and go to Modeling tab (at the top) and go to Sort by Column and sort by age_order.

This should sort your Age column in the graph now automatically without needing to do sort by.

Hi @Anonymous ,

In your scenario, we should insert an age column in power query and make the table sorted by the custom column.We can split the Age column firstly, then we can insert a custom column by the splited columns and remove the unnecessary columns. Here is the M code for your reference.

l

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("Xc87CsAgEEXRvUxt4S9G1yIiQgQLoxDdP4EQmGHqA493Y4Re18q7lZFNvufYbYEABUlQckiaUUAyjJRGs9w82sFMWzTHzJArJzNLNj0vkGjhs9mv+hD8yyWk9AI=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Age = _t, values = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Age", type text}, {"values", Int64.Type}}),
#"Duplicated Column" = Table.DuplicateColumn(#"Changed Type", "Age", "Age - Copy"),
#"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Duplicated Column", "Age", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("_", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Age.1", "Age.2", "Age.3", "Age.4"}),
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Age.1", type text}, {"Age.2", type text}, {"Age.3", Int64.Type}, {"Age.4", type text}}),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type1",{"Age.2", "Age.4"}),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Custom", each if [Age.1]="less" then [Age.3] else if [Age.1] = "older" then [Age.3]+1 else [Age.3]),
#"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Age.1", "Age.3"}),
#"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Removed Columns1",{{"Custom", Order.Ascending}})
in
#"Sorted Rows"

Then we can get the result as we excepted.

Capture.PNGresult.PNG

PBIX as attached.

Regards,
Frank

Hi @Anonymous ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as the solution to close the case please. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Frank

Anonymous
Not applicable

@acbg sorry I meant age-order column (updated desc)

when I follow that the "Sort by column" use Age by default if I switch to age_order (the one that I need it  to be sorted by) I receive an error

sort by age.PNG

end removing age-order from the tooltip breaks the order

order is broken.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors