Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

VL22
Advocate I
Advocate I

how to minimum the on-premise Gateway downtime when Power BI Service Failover

Hi all,

I'm desigining the HA for on-premise gateway, and according to this document or see the screenshot below, when Power BI Service failover happens, on-premise data gateway won't work unless I install a new gateway or take over the original gateway(this will also need to uninstall and install gateway again.)

VL22_0-1653603570781.png

I wonder if there is any other workaround such as change which region the gateway point to, so that I can provide better support for my users in the company. (change the connection is much faster than create a new VM and install on-premise data gateway...)

Thank you!

V

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @VL22 

As far as I am aware you can have HA available for the Gateway, you have to install them as a cluster. When one gateway fails it will automatically use the other gateway?

Here are details on how set up the cluster: Manage on-premises data gateway high-availability clusters and load balancing | Microsoft Docs

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi GilbertQ,

Thank you for your response. Yes, I can install cluster for my on-premise gateway. However, during the failover in the Power BI Service, the Gateway won't work unless I install a new gateway to link to the new region or take over the gateway. Either way is time comsuming. Therefore, I wonder if there is any other way to change the connection between the gateway and Power BI region only. Or other solution is welcome. Thank you! 

Hi @VL22 

Why would you not have 2 gateways installed in each region and then when needed it will automatically fail over?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

HI GilbertQ, 

Because I cannot predict which Availabzility zone Power BI will failover to...😆The issue is, the failover depends on Power BI service, which I cannot control, but I'd like to minimum the downtime for the on-premise gateway on my end.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors