Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

how to migrate Power BI Pro accounts from one tenant to another

1)

Is a Power BI tenant synonymous with the tenant that is created for any O365 services?

2)

My organization has a strange tenant scenario.  We have 2 Power BI tenants.  The first one is managed by my organization.  Let's say the tenant name is 'x'.  The second tenant is managed by a service provider, who purchases Pro licenses for us.  Let's say this tenant's name is 'y'.  So, we have some Pro licenses with tenant x, and we have some Pro licenses with tenant y.  We need to migrate everything (e.g., content, users) from tenant y to tenant x.  In particular, how can we migrate the Pro licenses / users under tenant y to tenant x?  Is this even possible?

3 REPLIES 3
nirvana_moksh
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@Anonymous - 1.) Tenant is a container for your org. that contains all assets and subscriptions etc., 2.) For the service provider who purchases your pro licenses, do they end in the same domain as your tenant org. name '@x'? if so I believe you can add this domain to your existing O365 domain Tenant thereby allowing them access to your Tenant and all this can be done via the O365 Admin portal.
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, the domains are different.  That is, the Pro licenses that are purchased under tenant x have domain like x.onmicrosoft.com, whereas the Pro licenses that are purchased under tenant y have domain like y.onmicrosoft.com.

@Anonymous - hmmm I think that might be a problem, but from what I know you can surely add different domains via the O365 Admin Portal, but what might be a hurdle is that the other domain is not 'owned' by you so that might be an issue. You can always create a Support Ticker with PBI via your Pro Licenses and they should have a proper resolution, even if it as simple as buying PRO licenses via your domain for these users and assigning them those.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors