Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

how to connect securely from IaaS to PowerBI Service, I am getting error

1. We have SQL server installed on Azure VM,

1. from PoerBI Desktop, we connected to the SqlServer 'SOURCE (Azr01:DB01)' on Azure VM through the gateway.

2. we published the report (Rpt1) to the PowerBI Service

3. we remove the 'SOURCE (Azr01:DB01)'

4. we tried to run the report (Rpt1) -- to test the refresh between (Azr01) SOURCE to PowerBI service without the gateway

5. The report refresh failed, the error message is "The data source can't be accessed by a data gateway : Server:Azr01; database DB01"

is the solution creating the Azure VPN? if yes, then how to get or what is the PowerBI Service's VNET end details: IP address and subnet.

6 REPLIES 6
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Since the SQL Server is in an Azure VM, you need a gateway for PBI Service to connect. Please give it a try. 

BTW, why did you do step 3 and 4? 

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am trying to avoid using gateway because it has the limitation of 10GB, this is a core issue, how do you connect without gateway, but not use PaaS.   If you have an input, thank you in advance,

Hi @Anonymous,

Do you have a premium capacity? What's the size of your dataset? Though there is a limitation. Maybe you can leverage the power of power-bi/service-premium-incremental-refresh.

Best Regards,
Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, we have the premium service, Thanks for that, just curious instead of mocking with a gateway, why can't I create azure VPN?  only thing I would need is Power BI Service address and subnet...but how do I get that?

Hi @Anonymous,

As far as I know, we can't install a VPN for now. I would suggest you create an idea here

Best Regards,
Dale

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've made through with two hop gateway to the Iaas (Azure VM), thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors