Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

roalexan
Employee
Employee

how to change datasource after importing local PBIX in PBI Online

I have created a PBIX file going against a particular datasource. It goes against a fixed model in an Analysis Service. Now, I want to allow a customer to upload this PBIX file and customize it to point to their datasource, which will go against the same model also in Analysis Service - but for a different deployment. I need them to be able to change the datasource in PBI Online. However, I don't see a way how to do this. Is there a way to change the datasource in PBI Online?

2 REPLIES 2
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @roalexan,

Please mark the right or helpful reply as answer. More people will benefit from here.

Thanks,
Angelia

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @roalexan,

From what I know, there is no option to change the datasource in PBI Online directly. After research, you can share the .pbix file to customer if there sample data structure is same with yours, then let them change the dataset connection in Power Query. More details, please review this article: Power BI–Change of Data Source Settings got easier.

Another way to change the connection string by Power BI Rest API, but it's more complex and only supported in DirectQuery model, please review this similar thread.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors