Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jdebett
Regular Visitor

help with error Premium caller trying to read premium per user information.

Hello

i have a dataset that calls a dataflow containing a table called shortages with dispo. we have premium capacity and i am a pro user. the dataflow is updating with no errors, but when i try to refresh the dataset i get the below:

Premium caller trying to read premium per user information.. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface. Please review the error message and provider documentation for further information and corrective action. Table: Shortages with dispo.

this report worked on a previous premium capacity, and refreshes fine on powerbi desktop, but once it is published gives the error.  I have never seen this error and google isnt helping. Any suggestions to a fix?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI @johanjsc , and @Marco_Polo_86 , @adeniranao , @Norbertus and @johanjsc 

I've taken a look at this and can reproduce the error. However I think it is entirely consistent with Microsoft's PPU licencing. What I believe is happening is this:

User creates a PPU workspace (PPUW1) and generates a Dataflow on it from some data (PPUDF1)

User then connects to Dataflow PPUDF1 in Power BI Desktop and builds a Report visual from it.

User than publishes this Report to a non PPU Workspace (WS2).

This puts a Dataset and a Report on WS2. When the users sets up a refresh of Dataset on WS2 it fails with "Shared caller trying to read premium per user information" error.

I believe this is because you can't share Dataflows on PPU with Datasets on non-PPU. This is consistent with Microsoft's licencing. You can't share a Report on PPU with a non PPU user and you can't share a Dataset on PPU with a non PPU user, then why should you be able to share a Dataflow on PPU with non-PPU users ?  

Dataflows on a PPU workspace get extra facilities, larger data storage, more refreshes, and linked entities etc. Why should you be able to share this with other non PPU users ?

The solution is to place the Dataflow on a non PPU workspace (this losing the benefits of PPU) or place the Report and Dataset on a PPU workspace (which onlu PPU licences can access.  

I note there has been some mixed messaging on this from Microsoft and can't find any really clear statement of this. Perhaps someone at Microsoft could get Chris Finlan or someone to answer.

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
JorisVoorn
Employee
Employee

Facing same error, does anyone have any solution?

I have report published on Power BI workspace with Premium embeded capacity, this report pulls data from Dataflow which is saved on different PBI workspace with Premium per User -> this retursn error above.

It is interesting that when report is published to differnt workspace which is also Premium per user, there is no issue.

Any idea?

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @jdebett 

The error would indicate that it cannot read the source data?

If that still fails and without any more information I would suggest contacting support https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/pro/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi,

I am facing similar issue:

- I have a dataflow in the Premium Per User workspace.

- I use this dataflow to build a report and publish it in a standard workspace, for the users who do not have Premium Per User account. On the Power BI Desktop side, everything works fine, including refresh. Once I publish this report on a standard workspace I am unable to refresh it online. I am receiving the following error:

• Data source error Shared caller trying to read premium per user information.. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface. Please review the error message and provider documentation for further information and corrective action.

Can anyone, please, can help?

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same Issue. But since yesterday March 15th 2022 everything was OK

Have you found a work around.

Here the same issue

Did you solve this? I have the same issue

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors