Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LourensW

getting started -Signing Up

Hi guys & gals

I'm new to PowerBI so please excuse my ignorance.

To get started & learn PowerBI can I download, create and publish reports on my name, not my companies name? This will be for me to learn and find out limitations and then to see if I implement it in my company, before going to the managers saying please buy Office 365 or add me to it if you already have it 🙂

If I need to register it to a company email - this means that the company needs Office 365 and I need to be allowed to use PowerBi in there subscriptions, is this correct?

I've read about Tenants - will the Tenants for the company be created and set-up when you first configure Office 365, then you add Power BI as a subscription and a PowerbI Tenant is created alongside the Office 365 Tenant?

I apologise for the multiple questions, I just need to get my facts right before proposing this to the business. I also need to know what is required at a management level as well.

I've watched videos and read blogs on how to create dashboards and am excited to get started, I just need to know what is needed to get it installed and able to publish for demos etc.

Thanks for your help
Lourens

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there,

We are all here to help. And when the first person signs up for Power BI via a Company email address, what it does in the background is it creates an Office 365 tenant (which you will not have to pay for), as well as an Azure Active Directory. If you company is already using for example Exchange Online this would have already been created.

You do not require to have Office 365 to use Power BI or sign up.

Once everything has been configured (All automated by Office 365) you will then be able to start using Power BI. There will also be an option to configure a Global Admin for the Office 365 Admin center, where you will be able to administer user settings and some basic Office 365 settings. They do provide details on how to get this completed.

I hope that this answers some of your initial questions?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there,

We are all here to help. And when the first person signs up for Power BI via a Company email address, what it does in the background is it creates an Office 365 tenant (which you will not have to pay for), as well as an Azure Active Directory. If you company is already using for example Exchange Online this would have already been created.

You do not require to have Office 365 to use Power BI or sign up.

Once everything has been configured (All automated by Office 365) you will then be able to start using Power BI. There will also be an option to configure a Global Admin for the Office 365 Admin center, where you will be able to administer user settings and some basic Office 365 settings. They do provide details on how to get this completed.

I hope that this answers some of your initial questions?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks for your response Guavaq,

So yes, you have confirmed that you do need a company email address but you dont need Office 365.

Its a shame that we cannot play with it using our personal Microsoft account!

Thanks again for your input

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors