Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RaphaelNeto
Frequent Visitor

gateway shared with other external consultants

Hello all.

I'm a consultant and the company I work for has provided a BI solution to a client, where they provide us with an user within their domain to install the gateway on their server and share the reports created.

The user given to us is the admin of the gateway.

This client has different branches and one of them hired another external consultant to create a different BI project for them. This consutant contacted me to understand the option he has to connect to the client DB using the gateway already installed in the server.

I don't know who is this consultant and what he will be creating. I just know that he probably need to access the same server or DB I'm using in my own project.

What you think is the safest approach here? Considering data protection policies and security access?

- tell him to install a new gateway in a different machine as the client has a few machines linked to the main server that could host a new gateway (obviously he can't install a new gateway in same machine)

- create the data sources connection that he needs and add him as a user of the datasource?

- give him admin access to the gateway to allow him to create his own connections?

Thank you for your input

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xulin-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RaphaelNeto

In your case, others need to access the same server or DB you are using in your own project, so others can only connect to your local data source through your local gateway.
So you need create the data sources connection that he needs and add him as a user of the datasource.

For more information, you can refer:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-data-sources

If you still have some question, please don't hesitate to let me known.‌‌

Best Regards,

Link

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution. Really appreciate!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-xulin-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RaphaelNeto

In your case, others need to access the same server or DB you are using in your own project, so others can only connect to your local data source through your local gateway.
So you need create the data sources connection that he needs and add him as a user of the datasource.

For more information, you can refer:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-data-sources

If you still have some question, please don't hesitate to let me known.‌‌

Best Regards,

Link

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution. Really appreciate!

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @RaphaelNeto 

I suggest following the same steps that you had to follow to keep things consistent.

And then grant him access via the same gateway when refreshing the PBIX file in the Power BI Service?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

so you saying this option?

- create the data sources connection that he needs and add him as a user of the datasource?

But that won't make this consultant dependent on me? wouldn't be better to him to install another gateway in a separate machine?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors