Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sanjoyleo
Helper I
Helper I

gateway installation

Hello  ,

I developed Report/Dashboard which will take data from a MS SQL Sever (with in network) . As per my knowledge Gateway needs to be installed & source config done only in that Host machine (say X )  where SQL Server is there .

Now question is can we install Gateway not physically in the X but some other machine (Y) which is acting a gateway to that SQL Server machine ..basically another m/c which might be connected to that SQL Sever ? I feel no.. can you please confirm ?

in case any solution like in same node/cluster..something..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As long as the machine you are installing the gateway on can see the database, say through SQL Serv Management Studio, it will work..

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ginascott
Regular Visitor

If you are refering to the on-prem Power BI gateway - it is recommended to have it installed on a separate machine. If that machine goes down you will have no access via powerbi desktop to your data.

It is fairly easy to congiure and the new updates to it, it can now be clustered.

I hope that helps!

As long as the machine you are installing the gateway on can see the database, say through SQL Serv Management Studio, it will work..

Hello , Thanks for your reply  !

Are you then saying below flow would work ? Installation of Gateway and DB Source configuration will be as it is normal  ?

diag.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors