Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

gateway error for dataflow --> excel as source

I have a requirement where I should use excel as a source to read data into power bi service

I have the following questions

1. What gateway do we need to be able to connect to excel from power bi?

2.  What is the best way to store history when excel is the source ? I was trying to create a dataflow pointing to excel and I get below error

Powerbi_astra_0-1632941277430.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,  @Anonymous 

1. For local excel files, it is recommended to use a standard On-premises data gateway . 

2. Powerbi allows you to connect directly to a folder. You can consider creating a folder to manage these historical files.

You can refer to this similar thread  to check whether the data source has been added to the gateway you are using.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,  @Anonymous 

1. For local excel files, it is recommended to use a standard On-premises data gateway . 

2. Powerbi allows you to connect directly to a folder. You can consider creating a folder to manage these historical files.

You can refer to this similar thread  to check whether the data source has been added to the gateway you are using.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

If I may make a recommendation  - try to avoid creating gateway connections to individual files. Instead use the sharepoint folder connector and navigate to the desired file.

Speaking of Sharepoint/OneDrive - technically they do not require a gateway unless you still use on-premise sharepoint farms?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors