Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

martijnth
Helper II
Helper II

gateway connection problem with Dremio connection

Dear Reader,

we have setup an SAP - Dremio - PBI connection that works well in Desktop environment. When we publish it is not working, other published reports are running fine in the Service mode. So the first error when opening  the report is shown below:

error 1.jpg

the when we follow the link we get:

error 2.jpg

We manually added the gateway, we followed the option in the menu and get:

error 3.jpg

So basically we made connection, but still, the report is not working. We keep getting the message 'not configured correctly'. Please share your thoughts we are out of ideas.

reg martijn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @martijnth

I managed to get my PowerBI - Dremio direct query working 🙂

For me, it wasn't an issue with the connection, but rather with the way the data was being pulled into to power bi!

When you use the UI to "Get Data", you go through multiple steps in power bi to access the Virtual Dataset on Dremio. This results in 2 or 3 steps in the Power Query Editor - one to access the source, and the next to access the table.
1.pngWhen you click on the "Source" step, power BI actually shows the issue;

2.pngAnd this is the resulting query in the Power BI Advanced Editor.

3.png

How I corrected this was by changing the Advanced Query to directly call the table in the first step itself.. and now Direct Querying on Power BI service works !!!

4.png

Also, another point to note is that the data source name should be the same on Power BI Desktop & the On-premise gateway. It needs to be either "host" or "host:port" on both ends... 

Let me know whether this works for you as well 🙂

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Martijn,

Quick question: after applying the gateway creation, did you also go to the Users tab and did you add your user (or any other user that wants to publish with this datasource) there?

Nicky

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Hi Nicky,

not sure exactly what you mean with Users, if you mean Share, then yes, the report has been shared automatically. The funny thing is that it also seems to refresh, while this setting is not even accessible! I am lost

error 4.jpg

still not able to see the F%$# report

I'm guessing there maybe are any other data sources defined when you check Power BI Desktop. All these sources have to be defined in the gateway for you to be able to setup Scheduled Refresh.
Can you check that in Power BI Desktop?

image.png

error 5.jpg

I'm also seeing some issues over at the Dremio community. They mention you should turn of SSL (encryption) on the Dremio node:
https://community.dremio.com/t/issues-with-power-bi-connector/3579/3

ok, will check

we added SSL at server level on the gateway server:

unfortunately no improvement

error 6.jpg

it looks like it's PowerBI thing (MS), Dremio Prod man says:

@dealercrm we’ve completed the certification process and waiting on the PowerBI team to release the integration, currently looking at a few months or less.

(https://community.dremio.com/t/dremio-in-powerbi-cannot-publish-to-web/1379/8)

So PLEASE Microsoft, RELEASE 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @martijnth, were you able to resolve this issue? Currently facing the same problem with powerbi direct query + dremio

@Anonymous 

Can you please share the error message.

How was the behavuour if you use the Import mode, can you please try to re-pro for testing purpose and update us.

If you have any concerns, please let us know.

BR,

venal.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @venal!

It works fine on import mode.. issue is with direct query. Also I managed to install the default gateway on my laptop, and it is showing up as connected. Do I need to configure the personal mode gateway as well?

Also, below is the error message when I try to access reports;

Cannot load model
Couldn't load the model schema associated with this report. Make sure you have a connection to the server, and try again.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Activity ID: 98307e8e-eab1-4e1b-908b-0a06c33bf232
Request ID: 6f8cb302-fdad-ac0b-f52c-95409d9554da
Correlation ID: 408c2899-b6d6-c495-9ab7-a2fa10e99acd
Time: Thu Jan 23 2020 14:55:56 GMT+0530 (India Standard Time)
Service version: 13.0.11888.332
Client version: 1912.4.031
Cluster URI: https://wabi-east-asia-a-primary-redirect.analysis.windows.net/

uil1.jpg

In manage gateways alls works fine.

Show details gives:

uil2.jpg

and

uil3.jpg

screen dump of gateway:

uil4.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @martijnth

I managed to get my PowerBI - Dremio direct query working 🙂

For me, it wasn't an issue with the connection, but rather with the way the data was being pulled into to power bi!

When you use the UI to "Get Data", you go through multiple steps in power bi to access the Virtual Dataset on Dremio. This results in 2 or 3 steps in the Power Query Editor - one to access the source, and the next to access the table.
1.pngWhen you click on the "Source" step, power BI actually shows the issue;

2.pngAnd this is the resulting query in the Power BI Advanced Editor.

3.png

How I corrected this was by changing the Advanced Query to directly call the table in the first step itself.. and now Direct Querying on Power BI service works !!!

4.png

Also, another point to note is that the data source name should be the same on Power BI Desktop & the On-premise gateway. It needs to be either "host" or "host:port" on both ends... 

Let me know whether this works for you as well 🙂

Dear Shayeny,

this has actually solved a long and lasting challenge. I have no clue how you found out, but you are my hero!

many many thx.

reg Martijn

@martijnth 

Thanks for posting the details with the error message.

Can you please confirm the same with the Import behaviour, Is it working or getting any error.

If it is issue with the only the "Direct Query", please submit a support ticket to investigate.

Please share the support ticket number here for reference.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and click on thumb symbol?

BR

venal.

Dear Venal, 

I understand the question, however time does not permit me.

reg martijn

@martijnth 

Note:- If the Gateway machine and Power BI desktop both are in different machine.

Please download the connectors and install it in Gateway machine and try to re-pro the issue.

https://docs.dremio.com/client-applications/microsoft-power-bi.html

https://docs.dremio.com/drivers/dremio-connector.html

If you have any concerns, please let us know.

Thanks for your support and patience on this.

BR

venal.

Ah, your picture threw me off a little there, but I now see this is the Cache Refresh history..

So this means this is when the cache for the DirectQuery part is refreshed in the service. 🙂

And according to your schedule this is set to refresh every hour. You can configure it up to every 15 minutes.

image.png

Martijn,

with the Users tab I meant this part in the Data Gateway setup:

image.png

You'll have to assign users to the gateway entry to be able to setup Scheduled Refresh.

Strange that your dataset is automatically refreshing. You can check who has set it up if you go to the settings of the dataset in the workspace. You should be able to see a login name there.

image.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors