Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

gateway connection direct connection not showing

One of our PBIX files that is published to O365 has connections to Excel files. These Excel files are stored in an O365 Modern Group document library. We try to schedule a refresh, but while we normally see in this scenario the option to connect directly to a data source, in this case we only see the option to use a Gateway. For all our other PBIX files that connect to Excel files in an O365 Modern Group we always can connect using a direct connection, Why would that option not show for one of my colleagues? The colleague has a license for Power BI Pro.

6 REPLIES 6
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Was the issue solved? In your scenario, I guess the the issue can be caused by two factors:

1. .PBIX file may retrieve data from local Excel file instead of Office365 document library Excel file.

2. .PBIX file may retrieve data from Office365 document library Excel file and also contains the data source which requires gateway(eg: SQL Server database) at the same time.

In your scenario, I would suggest open this specific .PBIX file in desktop, check used data sources in this report.

q1.PNG

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Anonymous,

Was the issue solved? Did you check used data sources in the report?

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
SanderBeukers
Advocate I
Advocate I

Is your colleague a member of the group?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes she is.

Just did some tests on my own environment. The only situation in which direct connection is unavailable is when (1 of) the source excel files is/are located outside of the office 365 environment. You could double check that to be sure. Unfortunatly, i cant reproduce your issue for excel files located in a 365 group
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is what I thought as well. I will double check and if all Excel files are within O365, I will create a ticket for Microsoft to resolve.

Thank you for your help !!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors