cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deepuev
Regular Visitor

filter only latest data based on person name

I wanted to filter only the latest data and show it on powerBI . The data is coming from azure stream analytics. The data is about a person presence at a location .The dash board should show only highest value of a column for a spcific person . Each row will contain person name , rank ( a number derived from current time where the latest will always be the highest) and some other parameters as rest of the columns. So i wanted to show only the last enrty for a person based on highest value of rank. Can i do this using Q& A ?

8 REPLIES 8
Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

Re: filter only latest data based on person name

Hi @deepuev,

Please follow the guide in the article below to ask question in Q&A. In your scenario, you probably need to use something like “person with highest entry” or “Latest entry for person” as question.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-q-and-a-tips/

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
deepuev
Regular Visitor

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 3.03.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 2.41.49 PM.png

Using the query " name station timein latest timein as table " i get the left side result . But what i want is to filter the rest of the entries which are not latest data for a person. From the left side output image , i want only the highlighted entries to be visible as shown right side image .These are current positions and do not want to show the rest which are not highlighted.

Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

Hi @deepuev,

What is the result when you ask question like"Last timein for each name " or "Highest timein for each name "?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
deepuev
Regular Visitor

Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 6.25.42 PM.png

Hi Lydia,
When i try using the following query as you have suggested "name timein station highest timein for each name as table " , the output i get is a list sorted by name and timein . It does not filter out the non highest rows . So the output is a list all values for a person and then for next  sorted on timein as shown right side . I want only the row with highest(timein) entry per person .

Thanks ,

Deepak

Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

Hi @deepuev,

I test your sceanrio in Q&A using these keywords: Max timein/Maximum timein/Highest timein, the Q&A doesn't return the maxium value of timein column.  Currently, Q&A doesn't recognize these keywords:  Max,Maximum,Highest. Thus Max timein for each name /Maximum timein for each name/Highest timein for each name doesn't give expected result.

We have reported this issue internally, I will post back once I have any updates.

Regards,
Lydia Zhang

deepuev
Regular Visitor

Hi Lydia ,

Any reply you have got after you have reported this issue?

Thanks &

Regards,

Deepak

Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

Hi @deepuev,

The team is working on this issue, I will post here if I get any updates.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Microsoft ameyers_MSFT
Microsoft

Hi @deepuev, I'm from the Q&A development team. As you've noticed, we interpret "latest" as a sorting request rather than a filter/aggregation. This is primarily a limitation of the visualization query engine. For your specific example, if you expand the Visualizations pane on the right in Q&A, click the small arrow icon for the "timein" field and change the "Don't summarize" setting to "Latest" then you will get the result that you want.

As a side note, "maximum" / "minimum" / "highest" terms are recognized when working with numeric data but "earliest" / "latest" are recognized for date/time data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series.

Join THE global Power Platform event series.

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities.

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications