Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

deepuev
Regular Visitor

filter only latest data based on person name

I wanted to filter only the latest data and show it on powerBI . The data is coming from azure stream analytics. The data is about a person presence at a location .The dash board should show only highest value of a column for a spcific person . Each row will contain person name , rank ( a number derived from current time where the latest will always be the highest) and some other parameters as rest of the columns. So i wanted to show only the last enrty for a person based on highest value of rank. Can i do this using Q& A ?

8 REPLIES 8
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @deepuev,

Please follow the guide in the article below to ask question in Q&A. In your scenario, you probably need to use something like “person with highest entry” or “Latest entry for person” as question.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-q-and-a-tips/

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 3.03.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 2.41.49 PM.png

Using the query " name station timein latest timein as table " i get the left side result . But what i want is to filter the rest of the entries which are not latest data for a person. From the left side output image , i want only the highlighted entries to be visible as shown right side image .These are current positions and do not want to show the rest which are not highlighted.

Hi @deepuev,

What is the result when you ask question like"Last timein for each name " or "Highest timein for each name "?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 6.25.42 PM.png

Hi Lydia,
When i try using the following query as you have suggested "name timein station highest timein for each name as table " , the output i get is a list sorted by name and timein . It does not filter out the non highest rows . So the output is a list all values for a person and then for next  sorted on timein as shown right side . I want only the row with highest(timein) entry per person .

Thanks ,

Deepak

Hi @deepuev,

I test your sceanrio in Q&A using these keywords: Max timein/Maximum timein/Highest timein, the Q&A doesn't return the maxium value of timein column.  Currently, Q&A doesn't recognize these keywords:  Max,Maximum,Highest. Thus Max timein for each name /Maximum timein for each name/Highest timein for each name doesn't give expected result.

We have reported this issue internally, I will post back once I have any updates.

Regards,
Lydia Zhang

Hi Lydia ,

Any reply you have got after you have reported this issue?

Thanks &

Regards,

Deepak

Hi @deepuev,

The team is working on this issue, I will post here if I get any updates.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Hi @deepuev, I'm from the Q&A development team. As you've noticed, we interpret "latest" as a sorting request rather than a filter/aggregation. This is primarily a limitation of the visualization query engine. For your specific example, if you expand the Visualizations pane on the right in Q&A, click the small arrow icon for the "timein" field and change the "Don't summarize" setting to "Latest" then you will get the result that you want.

As a side note, "maximum" / "minimum" / "highest" terms are recognized when working with numeric data but "earliest" / "latest" are recognized for date/time data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors