Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

YOV
Helper II
Helper II

failed to bind the data gateway

Hi all,

We're trying to set up a PBI Direct Query report connected to Azure Managed Instance SQL Server.

Due to company policy we have to use gateway allow connection with alias service user.

The gateway managed to connect, and works fine even on workspace. The dataset can refresh, no problem.

But when accessing the report from workspace I get the following message at the top of the workspace:

report couldnt access.png

clicking on the link I get this blank square:

2.png

Hitting "Connect" get to another dead end:

3.png

Couldn't find any answers on Google for "Faild to bind the data gateway".

As I said, the gateway connects find, the dataset is refreshing, but the report cannot connect to dataset.

Lineage shows everything is working and connected as expected.

To allow DirectQuery we're also checked this box in Gateway settings:

4.png

Disabling it didn't work either.

Any assistance would be welcome, the documentation on Gateway errors is really lacking.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
YOV
Helper II
Helper II

When using Import from same source and with same Gateway - issue is resolved.

However the report weighes ~2GB on Import so it's not viable solution.

No one from Microsoft support here to address this unknown issue?

Hi @YOV ,

Yes. There is a 1GB limit on the size of the data source in import mode. My suggestion is whether it is possible to do further compression of the data source and optimize the model. Or change to direct query mode, which has no size limit on data source.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

YOV
Helper II
Helper II

Thank you @v-henryk-mstf .

Unfortunately the documantation does not contain any assistance on the "faild to bind th data gateway" error, the blank "connect" square or any mention of gateway working properly with successful dataset refresh but still failing on report connection.

v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @YOV ,

See if the following documents are helpful to you.

Troubleshoot gateways - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If the problem is still not resolved, please point it out. Looking forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors