Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nirajdubey
Advocate I
Advocate I

error connecting Power BI enterprise gateway on an azure machine

I have created a virtual machine on Azure using Image SQL Server Data Center for SQL Server 2014, and created some SSAS cubes on that machine. I am able to access cubes from management studio. I want to access those cubes from Power Bi. I have installed Power Bi gateway on that machine, and connected cubes using live connect method. I further installed Power Bi Enterprise gateway to enable refresh of my cubes to Power BI cloud. Now when I am trying to connect to SSAS on Azure machine using PBI Gateway I am not able to connect, it gives me error "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request." On the other hand when I am trying to connect to SQL Server database engine on the same machine from PBE gateway, I am able to connect without any problem. The azure machine is not part of a domain yet, is this may be a reason why I am getting error connecting to SSAS instance from Power BI gateway.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

At what point do you get that error? is it when you try to run a report with live data? or when you are setting up the data source?

Is the email address you are using to log into Power BI match the UPN of the local Active Directory account? 

Adam W. Saxton | Microsoft Employee | Business Intelligence
@GuyInACube | youtube.com/guyinacube

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
nirajdubey
Advocate I
Advocate I

I made this machine an active directory domain controller, and so this machine is now part of an active directory. Now I am able to connect SSAS instance on this machine to PBI Enterprise gateway, but my problem did not end here, I am still not able to refresh my dataset which I have sourced from the SSAS cube on the same machine. I am getting error "Data source access error. Please contact gateway administrator"

At what point do you get that error? is it when you try to run a report with live data? or when you are setting up the data source?

Is the email address you are using to log into Power BI match the UPN of the local Active Directory account? 

Adam W. Saxton | Microsoft Employee | Business Intelligence
@GuyInACube | youtube.com/guyinacube

I added a new user to Active directory, with same name as I was having an account in Power BI. I further changed UPN of that user in Active directory to that of my Power BI User. Let say name of my domain was domain, and upn was domain.local, and new user I created in AD was NDubey@domain.local, I chnaged the UPN to NDubey.ABC.com, as this was my login name in Power BI. After that I was able to see data in my datasets populated from SSAS cubes.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors