Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

email notificaion when dataset refresh runs forever or longer time

Hi Experts,

We have live reports running in Manufacturing facility however there are ocassions when PBI dataset keeps running for longer hours for some or the other reason.We are looking for ways to send notification when the refresh takes longer time Example beyond 10 mins if it takes - developer should get email reminder to act on the root cause.These KPI's are critical for operations team.

Could you please let me know if there is any option available like this in power automate?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 

You can use the Power BI REST API to get the Refresh history of a Dataset in a Workpace, see here :

Datasets - Get Refresh History In Group - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs

Then you can call and use an API though Power Automate

How to use an API with Power Automate - Forward Forever

So it should be possible to build a Flow with Power Automate that will look for "long" refresh times and generate emails. However that's well beyond my Power Automate skill set, you may need to get to help in the Power Automate support group, but this should point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Burningsuit @lbendlin @GilbertQ - any help on this pls.

Hi @Anonymous 

You can use the Power BI REST API to get the Refresh history of a Dataset in a Workpace, see here :

Datasets - Get Refresh History In Group - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs

Then you can call and use an API though Power Automate

How to use an API with Power Automate - Forward Forever

So it should be possible to build a Flow with Power Automate that will look for "long" refresh times and generate emails. However that's well beyond my Power Automate skill set, you may need to get to help in the Power Automate support group, but this should point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot @Burningsuit this helped me a lot to start in the right direction however got stuck in authenticating rest api in flow.I will ask for help in flow group now.

Hello, 

Did you find out the solution?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors