Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cdavisUser
Regular Visitor

dynamic RLS not working for USERPRINCIPALNAME()

Hi -

I am hitting a brick wall.  I am able to filter content based on a field in my database. I can sub in my email address on desktop version and verify I am seeing filtered data. 

I have deployed with this, completely simplistic:  [RLSName] = USERPRINCIPALNAME()

I have tried logging in with an invited guest account who has PowerBI Pro in addition to my account. Neither will apply the filter once deployed to powerbi.com

Any words of advice? 

Thanks,

C

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @cdavisUser ,

In addition to the links provided above for RLS, just make sure the guest user is having only viewer role in the workspace.

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cdavisUser,

I'd like to suggest you check the user table and the username that guest user display on power bi service to confirm if they matches.
Since RLS only works on 'read' permissions users, please also double-check the user permissions on your dataset manage permissions.
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @cdavisUser ,

In addition to the links provided above for RLS, just make sure the guest user is having only viewer role in the workspace.

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

Thank you for the help everyone. 

nandukrishnavs
Super User
Super User

@cdavisUser 

Refer to this : https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Dynamic-Row-Level-Security-Dynamic-RLS/ba-p/787399

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate with a kudos
🙂

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

Anonymous
Not applicable

here is a video that could help 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dGpX8-4adkY

blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Not a lot of detail here

Can you share what your role definitions look like in Power BI desktop, and did you assign users to the roles in the Service?

Make sure your report consumers are not members of the workspace where your report resides

Give them access to your report using the share report action or through apps

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors