Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

does ODBC require gateway?

I am planning to connect Power BI service to ServiceNow (a cloud source) via ODBC.  (To be sure, the ODBC driver is 64-bit.)  Does this connection "source" require a gateway?  And, does it matter which connection method (i.e.,scheduled refresh / import / dataset vs live / DirectQuery) I use?  (I would test this myself, but I don't have the ODBC driver available to me yet.)

I may have found the answer already here, but I am not sure how to read the "List of available data source types" section  That is, I'm not sure if it's saying that "ODBC connections are only supported for scheduled refresh / import / dataset", or if it's saying that "gateways are only supported for ODBC connections in scheduled refresh / import / dataset mode".

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

I would suggest always going with an ODBC connector, it allows you to configure settings and there is no additional cost to get this working.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hello,

I would like to propose you to try out an alternative option connecting Power BI and Servicenow:

Power BI Connector for ServiceNow app

We have a handy User and Admin Guides for your convenience, but feel free to reach out support team at support@alpha-serve.com if you need any assistance.

Cheers,

Anton

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

You would require a Gateway to refresh via ODBC. As per the article you would need to have the ODBC connection enabled and configured on the Gateway so that when the refresh happens it can connect to the ODBC source.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors