Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

powerbinewbee71
Frequent Visitor

difference among admin, member and contributor

I m preparing the guidelines document for power bi use within the organization, and trying to figure out the difference between admin, member and contributor roles. To my understanding admin has full control over the published app, but cant understand the difference between contributor and member..help please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @powerbinewbee71,

Based on your description, it seems that you're using New app workspace (Preview) in Power BI Service.

You could have a good look at this document Roles in the new workspaces which introduces the details of the roles.

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
jacquelineluna
Frequent Visitor

Hello @powerbinewbee71 ,

Did you every end up with a simple (say one sentance) description? If so, would you mind sharing?  

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @powerbinewbee71,

Based on your description, it seems that you're using New app workspace (Preview) in Power BI Service.

You could have a good look at this document Roles in the new workspaces which introduces the details of the roles.

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

The role description under https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-create-the-new-workspaces#roles-in-the-new-workspa..., mentions that a "Contributor" can "Create, edit, and delete content in the workspace" and "Publish reports to the workspace, delete content."  -

1.   Does this mean that they cannot view this report , 
  2. They can add their own reports under the app
  3. They can edit/delet any document or the report itself.

The description of  a"contributor seems unlcear to me. It would great if someone can guide through.

Thanks.

Thank you, Cherry. It helped.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm glad to read this too.  I've largely had to avoid the new workspaces due to their missing features, particularly usage metrics.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Workspaces have 2 roles, Admin and Member.  Admin always have read/write access to reports.  Members will have either Read/Write or Read Only depending on what is set within the workspace itself.  Admin and Members both require Power BI Pro to access the workspace.  Anyone in the workspace with Write access will ignore Row Level Security.

When you publish a workspace as an app, separate access is granted to users.  If the workspace is hosted on Premium Capacity, free users can access the content.  If not, users require Pro.  Access to apps is read only.

Thank you Ross. But I need to know how does contributor differs from member and admin...

Anonymous
Not applicable

In the manner we have been speaking, contributor isn't an access level.  What context have you read that in?  I know contribtor is often talked about in terms of people who make edits versus people who don't.  I.e. contributor versus consumer.

Perhaps if i know where you have seen this term, i'll understand better to advise.

Ross

I have this app published on power bi service and when I go check "Access", some are shown as members and others as contributors...it made me think there must be some difference between the two in terms of access level..

Anonymous
Not applicable

Which screen are you seeing this within?  The Access area for publishing apps does not have a detirmination of access type, everyone there is read only.  The 'Edit Workspace' section only lets you select "Admin" or "Member".  If you share a report, that has slightly different associations.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors