Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

developing a report in power bi service - data types?

is there a way of converting a data type in the service.

I sucked in an excel file into the data sets,  but i want to convert the decimal to currency, is there a way to do this?  The issue is that i have set the currency in excel but the service doesn't seem to be inheriting the currency, only the numerical format.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

13 REPLIES 13
henriquesilveir
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

y@vanessafvg hello, is not possible!

You can only change the field type into power bi desktop. 

My suggest: you could download a .pbix file in service, change it and republish. 

Take a look how to do this below:  print4.png

@henriquesilveir thanks for your response, but unfortunately not possible to do on a mac

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Hi @vanessafvg,

How did you format it in the Excel?

I did it by right-click the column and choose "Format Cells". The format seems still valid in the Service. Please refer to the snapshot below.

developing-a-report-in-power-bi-service-data-types

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-jiascu-msft yep i tried that but it didn't work ta

Hi @vanessafvg,

That's strange. Totally work in my side. I would suggest you create a support ticket here. Maybe something is wrong.

create-ATicket

Best Regards,
Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-jiascu-msft definitely doesn't work, i just retried, works in neither the desktop nor serivce, it comes through as a whole number.  I need it to be currency - someone else tried it and didn't work for them either.

Hi @vanessafvg,

Can you share the Excel file? Only a little piece is needed that can reproduce the issue. BTW, I have Excel 2016. The contents in Excel are formatted as a table.

Best Regards,
Dale

@v-jiascu-msft i created an excel file with 2 row with 2 columns in and formatted it as table, it was dummy data and saved it that is excel 2016, not to sure if the sharing will resolved this,  because it was really simple nothing complicated.   if you send me your email i can send it to you thank you 🙂

Hi @vanessafvg,

I totally agree with you. As we can see from the image of my first post, it works. Please check your Messages box for my email. 

Best Regards,
Dale

Hi @vanessafvg,

I have reported this issue to the Product Team: CRI 95832755. I will update the progress here. Actually, the single $ would work, which is the second option in the list of Symbol. 

Best Regards,
Dale

Hi @vanessafvg,

I'm afraid this is a limitation for now. I would suggest you try to use the PBI Desktop as a workaround. 

Best Regards,
Dale

not an option due to being a mac but thanks @v-jiascu-msft

henriquesilveir
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

y@vanessafvg hello, is not possible!

You can only change the field type into power bi desktop. 

My suggest: you could download a .pbix file in service, change it and republish. 

Take a look how to do this below:  print4.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors