Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

WVonk
Frequent Visitor

detach dataset <-> reports

i am looking for a way to use Power BI in the some way as SSAS and SSRS. 

something like this; let's say there is an organisation where one person has the responsibility to maintain one dataset in Power BI (dataguard). This dataset is based on a datamart.  In this case measures/collumns and tables are updated on a regular basis. Also the BI personal gateway is used to update the data on a daily basis. 

Users can build there own reports and dashboards on this dataset  and share these. 

oh, and this organisatie are not able to setup a SSAS environment locally. 

Now there are a 2 problems with this workflow as far as i can see:

1. the dataset is maintained in the Power BI desktop, when the solution is deployed to PowerBI.com the existing report ( with the same name as the dataset) is also overwritten. Even if the were adjusted on PowerBi.com by the users.

2. A user can develop a new report an a existing dataset but when a user accidentally deletes a report, it's really gone! No trashbin. 

could the organizational content packs be a solution for problem 1? So the dataguard updates the dataset en redistributes only the dataset (no reports and dashboards) to a group of people? Will the existing reports on this reports based on this updated dataset continue to work (of course no tables or collumns are deleted Man Happy) ? 

Any thougts about this workflow?

2 REPLIES 2

@WVonk I'll take a stab at answering your question. If you want to control the dataset, and you want end users to be able to create, save and share their own dashboards based on that dataset - your only option is the Org Content Pack.

However, all their work is a "copy" of the dataset, and any updates you make, they will have to manually re-create/re-work their reports based on the new version each time you update.

Another option would be to make these people part of a "Group" and pull the dataset up into the group workspace and everyone can see each others work etc. At this point in time, you can't share dashboards from a group, but that functionality is apparently being worked on.

A different approach, would be to have the PBIX file in a shared location where all users can access it as a dataset, and update the file and notify people when you update it. - not the best solution - and it gives alot of freedom to end users to do their own thing, but it largly depends on who your end users are.

So far, there is more thought that has to be put into the "process" of how to get things to work as opposed to those processes being inherintly part of the tool at this point.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer Thanx for your thorough answer. 

As i suspected the Org Content Pack is the best solution for now. I'm curious; when you only add a collumn in a dataset and redistribute this new dataset must all the existing reports be recreated? So is there a connection (on ID or something) beteween reports en datasets?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors