Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BenFord
Frequent Visitor

deployment pipelines compare

I recently created a deployment pipeline from our Production workspace.  I deployed backwards to STG.  I then proceeded to make several changes the datasets for that workspace and republished them.  Since they were named the same, they simply replaced the ones that were in the STG workspace.  Now however when i compare with production, it says the STG datasets are new even they they are named the same.  In fact even when i deploy to Prd it creates a duplicate version of the datasets.  Also, if i publish the dataset to PRD (again with the same name) it replaces it as it should.  What is wrong with my deployment pipeline?  

7 REPLIES 7
dillonfarrar
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hey @BenFord 

I am running into this same issue and was wondering if you ever heard back? I believe my issue could be because we are using parameters to determine which SQL server to use? If it is the BUILD workspace then it uses the BUILD SQL server, if it is in TEDI then it uses our TEDI SQL Server and if it is PROD workspace then it uses our PROD sql server. Could a change in data source cause the issue with duplicated datasets and the compare saying that the two identical reports are different? 

Any Insight would be greatly appreciated!

@Nimrod_Shalit @v-jayw-msft 

Thanks,

Dillon 

Hi @dillonfarrar ,
Using parameters to determine different datasource for the report shouldn't lead to diff between the reports.
There's maybe an issue with the connecting the two reports per the work process of creating this pipeline. In this case it could be helpful removing/delete the item from the target stage and then deploy it from the source again. Please advise that any pipeline deployment's rule in place will be removed and have to be set again.
Best,

Lee.

v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BenFord ,

Are you saying that when you publish a dataset that has the same name in Power BI Service, it won't replace the exists one?

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

No, if i publish the dataset from power bi desktop, it replaces as it should.  the issue is using the deployment pipeline.  deploying from STG to PRD which have datasets that named the same, results in duplicate datasets in the prd workspace.  Note, i use the deployment pipelines for 2 other projects and they work as expected.

Is there an auto-sync setup in any of the workspaces in that pipeline, with either OneDrive or SharePoint online?

no, there is no autosync for any of the workspaces in the pipeline

Thanks @BenFord.

This shouldn't happen. please open a support ticket.

To be able to solve this, we need to be able to repro your pipeline state, so please be as specific as you can in describing details of the mentioned PBIX- how is it different from other PBIX in other pipelines?

is it happening in other PBIX in the same pipeline, or only for a specific one?
if you try the same PBIX on a different pipeline, does that still happen?
Please also add screenshots if possible.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors