Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rosh89
Helper I
Helper I

date format changes in subscription email preview

Hi, 

I would like to have the date format in DD-MM-YYYY. This format shows correctly both in desktop and service. But when an email subscription is sent the date format changes to MM-DD-YYYY and thats what the users see in the image which they receive by email. 

Can someone please help with this issue? Irrespective of the region I would like the users to see date in DD-MM-YYYY in the email subscription image. 

Regards

Rosh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Rosh89 ,

this is expected behavior:

The reason is this:

• subscriptions are executed by the Power BI service as a background job, using the owner's locale.
  • The owner locale is the one specified in the settings as one of the 44 currently supported languages: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/supported-languages-countries-regions
  • When language=(browser default) is selected, the backend cannot use the browser value because browser may have other/different sets of supported languages. As a consequence, the backend will set the user setting to default, which is American English.

And refer the following article:

Troubleshoot subscribing to dashboards and reports - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards

Lucien

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Rosh89
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @v-luwang-msft ,

Thanks for the detailed explanation Lucien. What you shared definitely works on table visuals. But the same does not work on date slicers. 

Rosh89_0-1644497973567.png

You can see in the image from the subscription received the order of the date was changed to MM-DD-YYY which is what I want to resolve to DD-MM-YYYY.

Best Regards,

Roshan

Hi @Rosh89 ,

this is expected behavior:

The reason is this:

• subscriptions are executed by the Power BI service as a background job, using the owner's locale.
  • The owner locale is the one specified in the settings as one of the 44 currently supported languages: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/supported-languages-countries-regions
  • When language=(browser default) is selected, the backend cannot use the browser value because browser may have other/different sets of supported languages. As a consequence, the backend will set the user setting to default, which is American English.

And refer the following article:

Troubleshoot subscribing to dashboards and reports - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards

Lucien

Please kindly vote for that change idea to support dd/mm/yyyy in subscription email preview: 

Microsoft Idea

Hi @v-luwang-msft ,

Understood now. Powerbi service accepts US english only and it can only be corrected when I change to another language which follows DD-MM-YYY format.

Many thanks!

Best Regards

Rosh

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Rosh89 ,

How did you get "DD-MM-YYYY"?You could try like me the below:

vluwangmsft_0-1644482940797.png

visual:

vluwangmsft_1-1644482952700.png

After publish:

vluwangmsft_2-1644482988153.png

Then   subscription:

vluwangmsft_3-1644483029723.png

vluwangmsft_7-1644483453700.png

language setting:

vluwangmsft_5-1644483294044.pngvluwangmsft_6-1644483340900.png

You could test  on the pbix file I shared.

Best Regards

Lucien

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

you can make the change in your locale settings.

Below link might help :

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/6834/power-bi-service-date-formats/

Please like my answer in case it helped you out! 

Have a great day!

Hi, 

I tried everything in the link. Changed language settings to english uk in chrome and powerbi service (default browser language) It still doesn't work. Somehow the date format changes to US format in the subscription image. Even tried changing language settings in outlook, still didnt work.

Hi @Rosh89 

What I did first is change my browser to English UK and moved it to the top. Then I went to Power Service and change my language to default (not English).

This solved it for me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors