Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jerish
Helper I
Helper I

datasource access error to SSAS

I deployed ssas tabular from VS 2017 to Analysis Services 2016 and created a report from PBI Desktop using Live connection which all works great. Published it to a PBI workspace and when trying to access the report, it give the datasource access error.

The gateway is installed on the same SSAS Server and the service is running under a domain account. Firewall is also turned off here.

From the manage gateway option the datasource displays connection is successful. Also verified that the UPN matches between the login and the domain.

Also roles are created in SSAS with admin privileges.

I tried to run a report in Excel Pivot table from this SSAS database and it works fine.

Any help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It was resolved by our IT dept. We had corporate domain which was different from our development domain and accorging to them they modified some forwarding settings . And I modified the effective user setting under manage gateway to map the email to an actual domain account.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
jerish
Helper I
Helper I

I deployed ssas tabular from VS 2017 to Analysis Services 2016 and created a report from PBI Desktop using Live connection which all works great. Published it to a PBI workspace and when trying to access the report, it give the datasource access error.

The gateway is installed on the same SSAS Server and the service is running under a domain account. Firewall is also turned off here.

From the manage gateway option the datasource displays connection is successful. Also verified that the UPN matches between the login and the domain.

Also roles are created in SSAS with admin privileges.

I tried to run a report in Excel Pivot table from this SSAS database and it works fine.

Any help is appreciated.

@jerish Is the user that deployed the report an approved user for the data source in the gateway?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Yes. I can create and report fromExcel Pivot table with no issues. I myself deployed the SSAS and the gateway is also running under my account. So I am sure it is not a privilege issue to the dataset

Are both the domains on the same name?

Eg. Bob@toys.com and Toys\bob?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

If you are asking about the SSAS DB and Gateway, then they are now on the same machine to eliminate the odds. 

HI there

If you can have Query Profiler running on your SSAS server and then try and access the report. It will give you an error when trying to connect.

Power BI Blog

I ran the profiler and I think we are on to something. Thank you so much . I get an error in profiler "The following system error occurred:  The user name or password is incorrect."

I verified that

1. The upn have the same email address that I use to login to PBI service

2. The gateway is running under the same AD account associated with the PBI login email.

4. SSAS have roles added with full privilege to the AD account.

In addition the report and dataset are deployed using the same AD account. So where is the credential mis match. Is there any way to identify which account it is using to login and is failing.

Thank you so much for the help so far.

It was resolved by our IT dept. We had corporate domain which was different from our development domain and accorging to them they modified some forwarding settings . And I modified the effective user setting under manage gateway to map the email to an actual domain account.

Hi there

When you go into the Mange Gateways, then the data source. If you click on Users and then Map Usernames, what settings does it have in there?

I think that you are possibly going to have to map it from a UPN to a domain login where it is set to "Effective UserName", so for example if my UPN was gilbert@fourmoo.com, I would then map it to FOURMOO\Gilbert

Power BI Blog

That didn't solve it. I think the issue might with domain trusts and I am working with IT to try it out. Our logins are on domain A and the SSAS server is on Domain B where there is trust between B and A. I am now trying to add the SSAS machine to the same domain as my login and see if that's the issue. I will update it here with the results once I do that.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there,

Do you have a screenshot of the error?

And when you deploy the report does it say it successfully connected to the Gateway?

Power BI Blog

Yes it does says successfully deployed.CapturePBI.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors