Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

liorro
Helper I
Helper I

dataset owenr

hi,

when im using power bi desktop and publish a new report, a new dataset is created with me as the owner

can you please explain why? and is there a way the owner would be a general user?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @liorro ,

Why?

This happens because with each new report that gets published and does not connect to a Power BI dataset, a new dataset will be created, and as each artifact needs an owner, the publisher of the report becomes the owner of the dataset.

I always recommend using 2 pbix files, one that publishes the dataset to the service and one that creates the report. In the 2nd the connection is set to the Power BI dataset and not to the original data source.

A general owner?
This is not possible. Changing the owner of a dataset is described here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/How-to-Change-the-Dataset-Owner/td-p/748865

Hopefully, this provides additional insights.

Regards,
Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Many people have a Power BI "service" account that they use when publishing datasets that is the owner of the dataset versus a specific person. Is that what you mean by general user?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @liorro ,

Why?

This happens because with each new report that gets published and does not connect to a Power BI dataset, a new dataset will be created, and as each artifact needs an owner, the publisher of the report becomes the owner of the dataset.

I always recommend using 2 pbix files, one that publishes the dataset to the service and one that creates the report. In the 2nd the connection is set to the Power BI dataset and not to the original data source.

A general owner?
This is not possible. Changing the owner of a dataset is described here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/How-to-Change-the-Dataset-Owner/td-p/748865

Hopefully, this provides additional insights.

Regards,
Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors