Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mixta
Frequent Visitor

dataflows and functions

Hi, 

I am attempting migrate some of my PBI Desktop queries to Dataflows in the BI Service.

Some of these queries referenccredentials.pnge a function, The function accepts an argument of a URL - this URL is then used to extract all the items in a particular list on that project site.  However when the function is referenced in the query it is asking for credentials.  When I attempt to enter credentials via an organisational account the option to sign is is greyed out even though the dialog suggests I am not signed in.  Any ideas?

Function code:

let
LoadList = (site as text) =>
let 
Source = OData.Feed(site&"/_api/lists/getbytitle('Risks')/items")
in
Source
in
LoadList

Many thanks

Mick

10 REPLIES 10
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there,

What happens if you try and another authentication kind?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Similar behaviour for Anonymous and Basic credential types - still comes back with Edit Credentials message.

Check for blocked popups.  This was happening to me and then I saw the popup.

mixta
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the tip but I can confirm that there are no pop-ups being blocked.  I can connect to the same data source in another connection but it appears that Dataflow features cannot currently cope with this type of function.  The step on which the error occurs is when attempting to connect to a SharePoint API to return items from a list but there is no source to assign credentials in the function - however this works in Power BI Desktop.

Hi there

In the actual editing of the entity in the dataflow have you clicked on Options to see if you can configure the settings there?

Power BI Blog

Yes I have but no luck there. I have deselected the enable loading option but still no luck.
Cheers
Mick

Hi there

Does the data source use a Organizational or Basic authentication?

Power BI Blog

I'm also having this issue on dataflows. I'm able to sign in when initially creating the dataflow, then a day or 2 later I'm no longer able to authenticate through Organizational account. I've tried on Chrome, Firefox, and IE and have checked popup blockers on each but it seems to be consistent across the board. I'm able to recreate the dataflow and sign in without an issue by pasting the text from the advanced editor into a new dataflow, however some of my dataflows are relatively complex and contain a couple dozen queries so this isn't a feasible solution.

Has anyone else made progress on this?

Just found a way to do this. Rather than editing credentials inside of the dataflow, if you go to your main workspace page, go to the "Dataflows (preview)" tab, click the 3 dots on your dataflow, and choose "settings". You should be able to edit the credentials from that interface like with standard data sources.

That is a great tip @PhilC

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors