Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

freder1ck
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

dataflows: Extension("extensionDataSourceKind":"PowerBI" cannot be added to gateway

Extension("extensionDataSourceKind":"PowerBI" cannot be added to gateway
So, I get this error trying to set up a report on power bi service.

Dataflows are the only data source for the report. Should I even schedule refreshes, or will it happen automatically when the dataflows refresh?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

As far as I am aware, currently you cannot use an existing Power BI dataset in dataflows.

With regards to a dataflow, you will have to first refresh the dataflow to get the new data in, before you refresh your Power BI dataset.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Almercie
Frequent Visitor

I've come across this issue as well. My current Gateway allows this to happen, however, the New Gateway I'm migrating to does not. 

Almercie_0-1645632656618.png

csm
Frequent Visitor

Hi Almercie,

We have the same problem when trying to add dataflows to our gateway.  Do you remember what enabled your old gateway to allow the mapping?

Thanks,

Chris

frano72
Helper IV
Helper IV

@freder1ck - Hey - did you ever get to the bottom of this issue ?  I am seeing the same thing !

KilianM
Frequent Visitor

image.png

Hello everyone,

I'm dealing with the same gateway issue. I'm working with a dataset based on an Oracle connection and a Dataflow table (which is connected to an Oracle datasource too). I'm working with import mode.

Is it normal that the dataflow table make this error message appear ? And if not, how to remove this one ?

Thanks, best regards;

Kilian

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

As far as I am aware, currently you cannot use an existing Power BI dataset in dataflows.

With regards to a dataflow, you will have to first refresh the dataflow to get the new data in, before you refresh your Power BI dataset.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks, Gilbert. The refresh order makes sense to me (just haven't had a report with only cloud data sources).

The source of the dataflows is SQL hosted in Azure. The dataflows show up as source: PowerBI as a cloud datasource.

([Edit] Turned out to be an old dataset that had other issues).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors