Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

IF
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

dataflow and looping data with function

Hi,

I want to use dataflow in order to get data for my reports. However, I don't know if it is possible to use "invoke custom function" for data flows. 

For example; I want to extract one month of data from my source. I put month parameter in order to get the data for a month. Later on I develop a new column in the table based on a parameter that I made. Later on I develop a function at the dataflow (app.powerbi.com). Until this stage everything is fine. I have another table for listing the months. I want to invoke that table with the function in order to get data for more than one month. However, there is no option to use "invoke custom function" at the dataflow menu. Actually this is possible at the desktop version. Does anyone know if I can loop the data by using dataflow in this way or another way?

All the best,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi, I'm not sure about the whole explanating, but you can invoke custom function in dataflows. You can basically do almost everything that the query editor does. If you don't find a way and you have it in desktop you can right click on a table and copy to paste in dataflows. You can also copy paste the advanced editor power query code in a data flow blank query for your custom function. Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWp4FKzIBxM

Hope this helps,

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi, I'm not sure about the whole explanating, but you can invoke custom function in dataflows. You can basically do almost everything that the query editor does. If you don't find a way and you have it in desktop you can right click on a table and copy to paste in dataflows. You can also copy paste the advanced editor power query code in a data flow blank query for your custom function. Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWp4FKzIBxM

Hope this helps,

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Hi,

The second option works. Thanks.

I am not sure about the first one. At least, I don't have that option as you can see from the screenshot.

DataflowDesktop.jpg

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors