Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rahulstomar08
Frequent Visitor

data refresh

Is there any way to automatic refresh the Power Bi data when the data get update in data source in import mode.

I know it is possible with DirectQuery, but is there any way in import mode?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @rahulstomar08 

There's a couple of things you could do here. One is to use Power Automate

Schedule Refresh Power BI dataset with Power Automate! | by Nimai Ahluwalia | All About Power BI | M...

Power Automate can take a "trigger action" (maybe data added to your datalake) and then run a Refresh on a Power BI dataset.

An alternative would be to use a programming language that supports REST calls to run the refresh.

Asynchronous refresh with the Power BI REST API - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Note both these methods will not get around the 8 automated refreshes per day as each refresh will count. So if your datalake gets updated more frequently you'll miss out, or need to move to a PPU or Premium Capacity which allows up to 48 refreshes per day.

Hope this helps

Stuart  

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Julio2022
Regular Visitor

I'm having trouble updating the power BI service. My vision updates on desktop is OK.  But after I publish in power BI services-WEB, all settings on the WEB are ok, updates happen at the scheduled times, but the data is not updated ... the Gateway is ok, no access error into the tables or servers I cannot see any errors or failury ...  Please help me!

rahulstomar08
Frequent Visitor

I don't want scheduled refresh. I want that whenever my data get updated in data lake my dataset should get refresh automatically.

Can you please help in this?

HI @rahulstomar08 

No, if you've used import mode to get the data into the Datamodel the only refresh options you have is Scheduled Refresh. Direct Query does what you want, if your database server can support the extra load.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Hi @Burningsuit 

Thank you!

Can we use push dataset ?

I don't know much about it.

Rahul

Hi @rahulstomar08 

There's a couple of things you could do here. One is to use Power Automate

Schedule Refresh Power BI dataset with Power Automate! | by Nimai Ahluwalia | All About Power BI | M...

Power Automate can take a "trigger action" (maybe data added to your datalake) and then run a Refresh on a Power BI dataset.

An alternative would be to use a programming language that supports REST calls to run the refresh.

Asynchronous refresh with the Power BI REST API - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Note both these methods will not get around the 8 automated refreshes per day as each refresh will count. So if your datalake gets updated more frequently you'll miss out, or need to move to a PPU or Premium Capacity which allows up to 48 refreshes per day.

Hope this helps

Stuart  

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @rahulstomar08 

Datasets on Power BI service can be refreshed an an automatic basis. Look at the "Settings" options on the Dataset, there you can set the Gateway connection. (Gateways are required if the original data in on premise, but not required if the data is online in a cloud repository). For cloud based data you provide the login credentials.

With these settings correct, you can schedule automatic refresh, up to 8 time per day for Pro licence, 48 times per day for PPR and better licences.

Data Refresh is a bitg topic in Power BI, with many options and settings, take a look at the Microsoft Documentation first, and go from there: Data refresh in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Hope this helps

Stuart

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors