Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dhooger
Helper I
Helper I

data refresh timeout - works sometimes, fails others

I'm trying to support a Power BI dataset reading from SSAS.

It will NOT refresh from the schedule from Power BI Service. "DataSource.Error AnalysisServices: XML for Analysis parser: The XML for Analysis request timed out before it was completed.."

When I try to refresh from Power BI Desktop, sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. It depends on the machine and time.

Things I've tried

1) going to SSAS, properties, Show Advanced (All) Properties, ExtendedTimeout and setting that to 60000, which I believe should be 10 hours. The refresh when done on Desktop takes about an hour.

2) In the PowerBI file, I've gone to advanced editor in the edit queries and added,

Source = AnalysisServices.Database("SERVER", "DB", [TypedMeasureColumns=true, CommandTimeout=#duration(0,2,0,0)]),

It needs to refresh from PBI Service.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I worked with Microsoft support for a month. The primary answer was that the ExtendedTimeout needed to be moved from 3600 seconds out to more than an hour. Unfortunately, that didn't work still. Overall the answer is that one shouldn't try to import that much data from an MDX model if it takes more than an hour.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The notification function basically builds up a generic HTML email that I intend on using for more PowerShell scripts & error handling, so feel free to adjust as you wish. I replicated the style of the Power BI failure notifications as a quick, clean solution. There’s even a parameter to pass a hex colour to this function, so you can colour code your emails! If you need to authenticate to your mail server, we can use a similar method to the authentication function, by using an encrypted text file. I have included this and added a switch (-auth) when calling the script to enable that functionality.

webportal
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

You can try incremental refresh.

If you have a Pro account, it is now generaly available.

If not, you may write the contents of the older data (the one you wish to keep frozen) into a csv or txt file and refresh only the newer data. This will speed up the refresh duration and prevent timeout errors.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

i had to submit as support ticket.

Hi @dhooger ,

Has your problem been solved?

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I worked with Microsoft support for a month. The primary answer was that the ExtendedTimeout needed to be moved from 3600 seconds out to more than an hour. Unfortunately, that didn't work still. Overall the answer is that one shouldn't try to import that much data from an MDX model if it takes more than an hour.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors