Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kconner
Employee
Employee

data refresh issue - unsupported data source

I've read the existing posts on this but are of no help...

I have an excel file of 3..4MB as  my data source, loaded into powerbi.com

I created several reports and a dashboard off of it

upon trying to refresh the data source manually, i get the triangle error and this message which I'd love if someone  could offer some actually helpful solution...I've recreated the dashboard several times at this point and hugely irritated at this experience /inability to refresh.

Something went wrong.

An error occurred while processing the data in the dataset.
Data source errorUnable to refresh the model (id=xxxxxx) because it references an unsupported data source.
Cluster URIDF-MSIT-SCUS-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID3f50f6b5-01bd-ed21-9466-eba061497098
Request ID1bb077b0-5fac-fd12-58bf-c7180872c57e
Time2016-04-04 05:29:19Z
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know it is a little too late but has anyone discovered a solution for this problem? 

I have the exact same issue. An excel file with a datamodel and a powerquery table. After importing de dataset to power BI, if i try to refresh it will display the error of Unsupported Data Source. 

Greatly apreciate with anyone could help! 

Bogdan

Have exactly te same issue!
Pro user, DataSet is stored in excel file OneDrive for Business.

More over there also an issue with PowerPivot (Excel) it stucks and crashes for a secon day in a row...

I've noticed, if I remove some measure or calculated column from my datamodel in excel and manage to save the file (without PowerPivot got crashed) then I able to update my dataset in Power BI, but just once. For a secon try I get the same error "unsupported data source".

Maybe tha issue came with some recent automatic udpade for office 365 or something like that, because no such thing happened before. Working with this datamodel for a couple of weeks already.

@kconner Are you a free or Pro User? If Pro, do you have a personal gateway or enterprise gateway installed?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

The sad thing is (I'm new at this) and am unsure which user type I am. I do note that I don't have any gateways setup yet, and it is asking which one I want - personal or enterprise.  Is there a preference?

@kconner Well, first things first. You can quickly see if you are free or Pro. Click on the Gear icon (settings) and if under the "manage personal storage" you have something of 1GB - that's free, if you have 10GB, your Pro.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Ok I'm pro user...

Just reading more on gateways ... do I need a gateway if my data is stored on onedrive for business? I assumed not since I'm just storing everything in an excel file on onedrive and pulling from there. But maybe that's a bad assumption...

@kconner This may be what you are looking for.

yeah, the way that reads it "should" work = refresh powerbi as I update my excel file on onedrive. However, I still get the refresh error noted in original post re: unsupported data source.

@kconner hmm. Is the Excel file a stand alone data source, or do you have it connected to a different source? 

the excel file is sitting on my onedrive for business and the external data files I'm pulling into it are these three:

1. a basic calendar from the azure marketplace (quite large , goes back to 1900's but I haven't figured out how to filter it down to only years I want when I import it from azure)
  2. a "standards" table I created in another excel file (7 rows)
  3. an "data sheet" containing all the records of interest (101 rows)

I did my dax coding and powerpivots in excel (using the "events in progress" modeling methods), then decided I wanted to try out the visuals in powerbi.

the interesting thing is that the last successfully completed refresh shows as a "scheduled" refresh on 4/1, which isn't supposed to be possible when source files sit on onedrive - where the refresh is supposed to happen automatically every hour.

@kconner There are no hard and fast rules with files on OneDrive. It falls into the "depends on your scenerio"

Check out this site and determine what scenerio your Excel file falls under (which connections).

Is the "data sheet" a valid data source that Power BI can connect to?

Depending on the scenerio your Excel sheet falls into, you may need to install a personal gateway in order to refresh.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors