Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rpeleg
Frequent Visitor

data model management within pbi service

Hi

I understand that durring pbix publish, its data model is exported from the pbix file into an instance of SSAS tabular 

where it is managed by the pbi service - right?

This is also true where a pbix model uses a direct query connection only - where no data is actually managed within pbi?

So regardless of connection type (import or direct query) - a model would still be managed within SSAS ?

P.S - I assume this is also the case where the pbix publish is done to an on-premise power bi server?

Thanks a bunch

Rea

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @rpeleg,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @rpeleg,

I understand that durring pbix publish, its data model is exported from the pbix file into an instance of SSAS tabular 

where it is managed by the pbi service - right?

I'm afraid that your understand may have a little biased.

From the document, it seems that Power BI uses Azure Active Directory (AAD) to store and manage user identities, and manages the storage of data and metadata using Azure BLOB and Azure SQL Database, respectively.

This is also true where a pbix model uses a direct query connection only - where no data is actually managed within pbi?

Yes, if you use direct query connection, no data is imported or copied into Power BI Desktop. Each filter in Power BI Desktop, will have a query for your underlying data source.

P.S - I assume this is also the case where the pbix publish is done to an on-premise power bi server?

This is the similar problem to the first one, please refer to this document which introduce the Architecture of Power BI Service。

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors