Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

optionone

dashboard sharing with enterprise licence

Hi,

Apologies if this has been covered before but searching for a solution to this has just left me more confused. I hold a power bi pro licence and my organisation has an enterprise licence. I've created a report with multiple tabs in power bi desktop and will likely create a few more reports - so as to keep the content distinct. 

I originally imported the report in to my workspace and then the power bi service creates the dashboard and the dataset. I then shared the dashboard to individuals to their emails (as I dont want end users to be able to view/edit the report) but only power bi pro users are able to view the dashboard and some of the end users will not be pro licenced. I will be sharing these dashboard with a group of around 20-30.

Whats the best way to approach this? I've read the following which suggests that if I was to create an app workspace for my dashboards and they reside within premium/dedicated capacity then my end-users wont need pro licences?
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/distribute-to-large-audiences-with-power-bi-apps/

Is that the best option for what I need and will that approach mean that I can just share the dashboard and end-users wont be able to modify the report or dataset?

Thanks! Adam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I would suggest sharing the data via an App, this is the direction that the Power BI Team is taking to share data assets.

This will allow for the data to be read-only for the users. It will also allow for people who have been granted access to either find the data or get the App installed for them.
Along with this there are a whole host of new features that are planned, which have been shown at MBAS and Ignite on some really cool features.

And finally I would suggest creating an Active Directory Security Group that all your users would be a part of, and then add this AD Security Group into the App. This will allow for easier management of people coming and going in terms of who should be able to see the data.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Adam,

There are two different aspects of your question. 

1. Whether the end users can edit the dashboards or reports (let's see Power BI contents)? 

This isn't controlled by capacity. We can set it up in the settings of the App workspaces.

And the shared dashboards and reports can't be modified.

dashboard_sharing_with_enterprise_licence

2. Whether you need a capacity?

That depends. If you don't need the other abilities of a capacity, a capacity could be a luxury. 10 Pro is $99.9/month while the capacity starts with thousands of dollars a month. Please refer to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/.

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I would suggest sharing the data via an App, this is the direction that the Power BI Team is taking to share data assets.

This will allow for the data to be read-only for the users. It will also allow for people who have been granted access to either find the data or get the App installed for them.
Along with this there are a whole host of new features that are planned, which have been shown at MBAS and Ignite on some really cool features.

And finally I would suggest creating an Active Directory Security Group that all your users would be a part of, and then add this AD Security Group into the App. This will allow for easier management of people coming and going in terms of who should be able to see the data.

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ > I've got an AD group set up already for my users as our DBA asked me to set one up for permissions to the database I'll be using for these dashboard. To the best of my knowledge though currently apps dont allow AD groups to be added in and it is something that will be rolled out in the near future - is that correct? I can only add email addresses in the app access section as far as I can see?

It will be available if you try the new App Workspace. There you can add Azure AD groups. So justify ensure that your AD is synced with Azure AD

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors