cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MP_123 Member

dashboard's slicer

hi,

i created a dashboard using two reports.

i took one slicer from one of the reports but when select something, it doesnt affect the tiles in the dashboard, what's the point?

how can i change it?

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

Re: dashboard's slicer

Hi MP_123,

Currently, in Power BI service, you can only pin entire report page which contains slicer to your dashboard by selecting Pin Live Page in the top navigation bar. This way, you can use the slicer to filter the chart within the tile. For more details, please check the following blog.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-weekly-service-update-1210/

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
wonga Established Member
Established Member

@MP_123,

Dashboards are supposed to provide a general overview of the content one would like to see. If you wanted to get into further detail you would click on a particular visual which then leads you to the origin of that visual.

Slicers are meant to be fully interactive in the report view, not the dashboard view.

Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

Hi MP_123,

Currently, in Power BI service, you can only pin entire report page which contains slicer to your dashboard by selecting Pin Live Page in the top navigation bar. This way, you can use the slicer to filter the chart within the tile. For more details, please check the following blog.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-weekly-service-update-1210/

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

t-atgeor Member

Hi @wonga,

thanks for the response, however, often users are not interested in the details and would simply take a brief / fast look on certain attriutes. Then a slicer in the dashboard, working on the whole dashboard, would minimize the time significantly and allow the user to establish the needed view quite faster. Is there a current solution to that issue? I understand that users would spend more time on the source/ report view, but sometimes you only need a figure or very concrete view.

Thanks, Atanas

vishal0soni Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

In Dashboards, the Q&A feature should be used, as it provides much better experience than slicers. 

Highlighted
andrewt Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

I disagree. 

I'd much rather see a filter with clickable option than a blank query box and try to guess at how I might be able to filter a report via writing text.  

The basic problem we have here is that we can add components, but not the slicers to filter them. Or we can add a live page view which is the same view as the base report. What we don't have is a way to add a subset of visualizations with filters. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Users Online
Currently online: 51 members 1,360 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: