Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

samdthompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

dashboard not updating

I built a simple PBI model as a demonstration. Excel table to PBI desktop, desktop to PBI web and PBI web to OS app.

The problem I have is the couple of charts I built and pinned to the dashboard change in the reports section based on the slicers (date) but those changes do not flow through to the actual dashboard. This seems an unlikely limitation. I am running a full but free test version of PBI which may well be the issue but need to check it out as I am meant to make a organisational wide reccomendation.

// if this is a solution please mark as such. Kudos always appreciated.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Oh wow, that would be a massive problem. Why would you want a mobile dashboard that needed to be manually rebuilt each refresh period?

View solution in original post

good to hear its a problem to be solved rather than a limitation. i might try a complete rebuild and see if that fixes things <sigh>

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
dgelfuso
Helper I
Helper I

In order to have dashboard update automatically, the entire report must be pinned to the dashboard. If only a portion of a report is pinned to the dashboard, it will be static.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Oooooohhhhhh... light bulb. I'll have to check that one!! That certainly does not sound right!

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

would appreciate that.

OK, here's what I did. I created a new PBIX file and loaded it to the system creating a data set, report and dashboard. Basically I had a list of "facilities". In the report, I added 2 visualizations, a simple table list of facilities (157 of them) and also a count of facilities (157) and pinned these to my dashboard. The data came from a CSV file. So, after uploading it, I added a facility to my list, now 158 of them. I refreshed and saved my PBIX file. First, I tried to refresh my data source but that failed miserably because I think there are still some bugs to be worked out there. So, then I just uploaded and overwrote my PBIX file. My report updated and my dashboard count updated. Note that my other visualization in my dashboard did not update because I had it filtered via a slicer to only 12 facilities when I pinned it.

I'm thinking that perhaps it is a particular combination of your visualization that is not causing it to show as updated? If you are slicing data and then pinning it and your new data falls outside of the current slicer, I don't think that your data in your dashboard will update, because the dashboard pinned visualization maintains the "context" of when it was pinned. But, if your dashboard visualization does NOT have any filters or context, like my simple "count" of facilities, then the visualization will reflect the new and current data.

I think that this state of affairs makes a lot of sense personally but I can see as how it may not act as one might expect.

I have also noticed that pinned visualizations seem to be constrained to their size on the dashboard. For example, I removed all of my slicer filters and pinned the facilities table to the dashboard. It only displayed the first 13. However, if I expanded it, it displayed more. In no case did it provide a scroll bar. I find this situation much less logical and consider this to be a bit of a bug IMHO. I should get a scroll bar.

Does any of this help?

Latest book!:

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I *believe* from my testing that the Dashboard is kind of independent from the Reports so, no, clicking some slicers on a report is not going to change the dashboard. The dashboard will display the visualization as it existed at the time it was pinned in terms of slicer selections etc. but it will not dynamically change. In fact, in my experience while it shows on the dashboard as of the "point in time it was pinned", if you click it, it will go back to the report by default without the correct slicers selected, they appear as the report default selections (at time of upload). 😞

Somebody correct me if I am completely off-base and wrong here.

Latest book!:

Oh wow, that would be a massive problem. Why would you want a mobile dashboard that needed to be manually rebuilt each refresh period?

Well, the dashboard will reflect current data but not changes to a report. So, if you update your data, the dashboard will reflect that in the context of the visualization at the time of pinning. 

Latest book!:

But if you hoped to have a dashboard for say hourly plant performance or even daily sales, available to users on their phones, the dashboard data would need to be rebuilt each time?

Refreshed. So, data sources create data sets that then provide tables and fields for building reports. Report visualizations are pinned to a dashboard and users can interact with dashboards and reports. When the data sources are refreshed, the reports and dashboards display the updated data.

So lets say that your hourly plant data has some metric that calculates some kpi. That kpi is reflected on a dashboard. When the data refreshes, that kpi reflects the latest data.

I hope I am explaining this satisfactorially. If you give me some sample data and an idea of what you are trying to achieve, perhaps I can walk you through accomplishing what you are trying to do.

Latest book!:

Not quite sure if I am explaining this properly. When I update the data. the, dashboard does not change at all but the report does. The dashboard only changes if i delete the tile and repin it from the refreshed report.

I met the same problem.

OK, so granted that at present I'm currently using some of the content packs as my basis for comparison on this, but I don't see the same behavior at present. For example, in my Google Analytics feed and my CRM feed, which update every day, I see the latest and greatest data reflected in my dashboards and reports both, every day. Let me read through your specific scenario in more detail and I'll see if I can recreate the issue. That's not how it is supposed to work from my understanding of the current state.

Latest book!:

My dashboard is also not updating when I update the data in my report in the Power BI Desktop. I hit refresh and it doesnt appear to bring the updated data across to the Power BI Service.... so annoying I have to delete all the Data Set, Report and Dashboard and start a fresh everytime I update my data in the report in Power BI Desktop! Can you help me?

good to hear its a problem to be solved rather than a limitation. i might try a complete rebuild and see if that fixes things <sigh>

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors