Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

custom R visual - heat map using plot.ly

Hi,

I created a custom R visual using this method: https://github.com/microsoft/PowerBI-visuals/blob/master/RVisualTutorial/CreateRHTML.md

The goal of this visual is to be able to create a heat map with customized colormap (I use plotly R library).

The code from r.script file:

source('./r_files/flatten_HTML.r')

############### Library Declarations ###############
libraryRequireInstall("ggplot2");
libraryRequireInstall("plotly")
####################################################

################### Actual code ####################
colscale = list(c(0, "rgb(192,0,0)"),list(0.5, "rgb(255,255,0)"),list(1, "rgb(111,168,219)"))

g <- plot_ly(z = volcano, type = "heatmap", colorscale = colscale, autocolorscale = FALSE)

############# Create and save widget ###############
p = ggplotly(g);
internalSaveWidget(p, 'out.html');

I use custom colorscale 

colscale = list(c(0, "rgb(192,0,0)"),list(0.5, "rgb(255,255,0)"),list(1, "rgb(111,168,219)"))

so the colors should be from red to yellow and blue.

Everything works fine in Power BI desktop: I have the colors I wanted: 

image.png

But when I upload the file to Power BI service, the custom colormap does not work. My Heat map looks like this:

image.png

Do you know what might be the reason, why the colors are diffrent in Power BI servcie?

4 REPLIES 4
mike1337
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-xicai do you perhaps have any updates on that? I am facing the same problem. A custom R plotly visual with cusotm colors coded in R usign RGB formats is working fine on Power BI Desktop but once published to Power BI Service--the colours are all wrong.

Thanks!

Mike

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark the proper reply as a solution to help others having the similar issue and close the case. If not, let me know and I'll try to help you further.

Best regards

Amy

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You may try to use personal data gateway instead of enterprise data gateway (on premise data gateway). Currently, R scripts are supported for personal gateway but not enterprise gateway.

Or you may try to upgrade the gateway to the latest version.

If you still have this issue for Power BI, you'd better create a support ticket in Power BI Support to get further help.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

This issue isn´t related to the data gateway.

I created a support ticket in Power BI Team.

I also create a github issue https://github.com/microsoft/PowerBI-visuals/issues/560

I will update this thread when the issue is resolved.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors