Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

creating reports in PBI file Vs in services

Hi guys

noob here.

Question of opinion for correct work method

should I create all the reports in the PBI file then upload it to the services

or

should i upload the dataset and only then create it all on the services?

thanks

Adam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AbhiSSRS
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

You should avoid development in Services directly for longer term avaialbility as those files can never be downloaded to local as pbix and thus not able to be shared an reworked easily.

So its best to work on your Pbix in Desktop. What you may do (which is also a good practice) is that you deploy your datset and develop all power BI reports connected live to that so that multiple developers can work using same dataset in parallel.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AbhiSSRS
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

You should avoid development in Services directly for longer term avaialbility as those files can never be downloaded to local as pbix and thus not able to be shared an reworked easily.

So its best to work on your Pbix in Desktop. What you may do (which is also a good practice) is that you deploy your datset and develop all power BI reports connected live to that so that multiple developers can work using same dataset in parallel.

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you for your answer.

what if I have likr 50 reports.

wont that make the PBI file sluggish?

also, when you say 

@AbhiSSRS wrote:

...deploy your datset and develop all power BI reports connected live..

do you mean to disconnect the dataset from the reports?

Yes I mean to disconnect the dataset from the reports. It may be a bit sluggish while developing locally but you may work with local dataset during development and later switch to the service while deployment.

You may refer how its done for paginated , same way it can be done for pbix :

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/build-paginated-local-power-bi-desktop-dataset-abhinav-singh/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors