Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

connections across multiple gateways

Hi all

I have a couple questions regarding gateway connections and gateways servers.  I appreciate any insight.

Here are my gateway connection questions:

1. I have a reprort with connections to Excel files hosted in Sharepoint online. When I publish to the service, it seems they must be included in the gateway server. Is this correct? I was under the assumption that I did not need a gateway to connect to this type of source as it is not really on premise. Or is it requiring a connection for these files because one of the connections is to an on-premise database (and therefore requiring across all connections)?
  2. In a report that has multiple connections to sources, do all the sources need to exist in the same gateway? I was trying to split them (for logisitical management), but it seems I cannot apply my settings in the service if they do not all exist within the same gateway.

My gateway server questions:

I am looking for the best way to set up gateway servers for my organization. Originally, I was thinking of setting up a gateway server for each region, but depending on how my question (2) above is answered, that may not work well. I am looking for a way to manage connections that will grow extensively as we use Power BI to support clients. I guess what I am asking is, how best can I manage gateway servers and connections when the use is growing exponentially? We do not want things to grow out of control and want to be able to relatively easily edit/manage connections as needed.

Thanks in adance for any suggestions and support.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi  @Anonymous .

If you directly connect files which are hosted in sharepoint, no gateway is needed.But if you first connect sharepoint online in desktop then publish to Service, the data source will be converted as a local one,then you need to configure a gateway.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi  @Anonymous .

If you directly connect files which are hosted in sharepoint, no gateway is needed.But if you first connect sharepoint online in desktop then publish to Service, the data source will be converted as a local one,then you need to configure a gateway.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

A gateway is only needed if you are accessing on-premises data, usually. So, I'm not seeing a need for the gateway at all in your example.

For connecting to anything in SharePoint Online, you can connect directly, no gateway needed.  I have some videos at https://getstartedwithpowerbi.com that show these interactions. Scroll to the bottom to see the list.

Hope this helps,

--Treb, MVP

https://marqueeinsights.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors