Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RSPPBI
Regular Visitor

connecting to the same oracle database with different user accounts

Hello,

I am running into a power BI issue and maybe you can tell me if there is a solution for it by using Power query.

I am trying to connect to an oracle database with the name database 1 and I am using username 1 and password 1.

Now I want to repeat this several times.

So basicly I want to have 4 connections like this:

Connection 1: oracle database 1, username 1, password 1
Connection 2: oracle database 1, username 2, password 2
Connection 3: oracle database 1, username 3, password 3
Connection 4: oracle database 1, username 4, password 4

But Power Bi refuses this because it says there is already a connection to this database...

That is true, but for each connection I want to get different tables out of the database so I can combine them in an overall datamodel....

Is there a solution for this?

Preferably all 4 connections should work via the on premise data gateway.

It is possible in PowerPivot, but apparently not in Power BI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @RSPPBI,

Does that make sense? If so , kindly mark the answer as a solution to close the case, thanks in advance.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RSPPBI,

Based on my test, we can use different server names to connect to the same Oracle database using different usernames. So In your scenario, you can use four kinds of server names to meet your requirement. Here I make a test using IP address, servername and FQDN.

oracle.PNG

Regards,
Frank

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

I am not sure what you mean...

How do you make 4 times connection to the same Oracle database

I try to do this in the Gateway, via Add Source, which method(s) do you use?

Someone also sugested to use different aliases in  the tnsnames.ora file.

Have you experience with that and what should I fill in iin this file, can you give me an example?

Hi @RSPPBI,

Based on my test, all the four kinds of server names could be added in the gateway. Please notice, only the gateway is installed on the same machine with Oracle, the localhost could be used.

Please refer to the pictures as below.

a.PNGb.PNGc.PNGd.PNG

Regards,

Frank

Hi @RSPPBI,

Does that make sense? If so , kindly mark the answer as a solution to close the case, thanks in advance.

Regards,

Frank

And this is your solution?

OF COURSE that Has sense, if were work with ORACLE, you will realise that you have ONE DATABASE and differents schemas ... When you have a RIGTH DATABSE SECURITY ENVIRONMENT, you must have to create different username and password for different schemas, but, POWERBI doesn't have the habilities to create different connection to same Database with different users. I request to Database Team Admin if they can create a "Unified" user and they said, NO... it is a very very weak point in PowerBI if it want run the BI race. 

Hi, have you finally found a solution to your problem ? I have exactly the same problem with Amazon Redshift Database where I need with same database to create 2 different data source with user1 and user 2 with 2 different credentials, each time I change it, it changes the other source, it's a nightware ! Very weak on the powerbi side ...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors