Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

connect to powerbi dataset in service from ssis

Hi,

I am trying to find out the steps to connect to powerbi dataset residing in the powerbi workspace in ssis but no clear instructions so far.Can someone please include the steps.Also would it be possibe to trigger refresh from sql agent job to refresh the SQL table results courcing this DAX query from dataset.

I see posts using REST services but just dont have clear instructions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gilbert,

Microsoft confirmed to me today that this feature is not yet available for Integration service projects.Pls look below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-connect-tools#data-modeling-and-mana...

Also it cant be acheived using REST API.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
tomasbaima_ok
Regular Visitor

For PRO License you can try something like this, the same connector exists in SSIS: 

https://freesbi.wordpress.com/2022/01/11/conexion-en-modo-import-a-un-dataset-de-power-bi-publicado/

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

As far as I know it is not possible to connect to the datasets from SSIS. There are REST APIs which can do certain functions but as far as I know cannot connect via SSIS

The only way would be if you are running Power BI Premium and you connect via the XMLA end points.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Gilbert.Can you elaborate on using XMLA end points to connect to powerBI dataset in premium workspace and get a subset of data from dataset into SSIS (DAX query)

Hi there

What I have done in the past is to use an OLE DB connection to an SSAS Tabular Instance.

Then using the OLD DB Source I can then put in my DAX query, which will return the dataset. I can then put this into a SQL Table within SSIS

XMLA allows you to connect to the dataset, which is available in Power BI Premium, and is almost the same as SSAS Tabular

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Gilbert,

It is not working the same way it is working with SSAS Tabular or Azure SSAS.It complains of the initializing provider when i chose MS provider for Analysis Server 13/14.So i am not sure if .NET /OLE db provider allows connection to the powerBI sources as i see many posts that say feature is not yet available to read dataset on powerBI from certain apps .They say  REST API operations too are limited to only few functions with respect to dataset.

If you could confirm that it is possible or not with XMLA,it will be really helpful to me.

Hi there

Please make sure you have got the latest versions of the OLE drivers installed.

You can download and install them here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/analysis-services/analysis-services-data-providers

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gilbert,

I am able to connect to Azure AS tabular model using these existing libraries in my machine,Not sure why same doesnt work for powerBI dataset.

Would like to know if you have tried to connect to powerBI dataset from ssis.

Hi there

I have connected to other SSAS instances in the past and this should be no different.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gilbert,

Microsoft confirmed to me today that this feature is not yet available for Integration service projects.Pls look below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-connect-tools#data-modeling-and-mana...

Also it cant be acheived using REST API.

Thanks for letting us know!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors