Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bartje
Regular Visitor

connect mysql to web version of Power Bi

Hi,

Just started, created an account, open the web version of Power Bi, and choose to add databases as datasource. But now i only see:

- Azure SQL Database
- Azure SQL Data Warehouse
- SQL Server Analysis Services
- Spark on Azure HDInsight

Is there any way to connect an external live mysql database here?

When i search for in on the help section, i only end up on places how to install a personal gateway for the desktop version, but nothing about the online version.

Bart

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

No, your best bet is to build an Analysis Services Tabular model on top of it and have it processed reasonably often enough to have real time dashboards for your users

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
dannyfactory

This is so massively unfortunate. A way of finally getting MS to work with the rest of the existing web tech we have ... and they make it awkward as hell.

dannyfactory

This is so massively unfortunate. A way of finally getting MS to work with the rest of the existing web tech we have ... and they make it awkward as hell.

curth
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Somewhat ironically, the "web" sources don't store any data in the cloud; they directly access the underlying server to show your dashboards. There's currently only a small number of sources supported this way, though the list is going to grow over time.

For other sources, you'll need to build a query and model on the desktop using the Power BI Desktop application and then upload the result into the web application where it can be refreshed on a regular basis. Once there, you don't need to use the desktop application again unless you need to edit the query or model.

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@curth could you please clarify what you mean by this "Somewhat ironically, the "web" sources don't store any data in the cloud; they directly access the underlying server to show your dashboards"?

Are these the "web" sources that you are referring to?

Supported online data sources:

• AppFigures (Beta)
  • Azure Blob store
  • Azure HD Insight
  • Azure Marketplace
  • Azure SQL Database***
  • Azure Table store
  • Blank query (query that is not accessing any data source)
  • Dynamics CRM Online
  • Facebook
  • GitHub (Beta)
  • Google Analytics
  • Hadoop File (HDFS)
  • OData Feed
  • Salesforce
  • Sweet IQ (Beta)
  • Twilio (Beta)
  • QuickBooks Online (Beta)
  • Web
  • Zendesk (Beta)

And if so, are you saying that for the datasources about, every time a users goes into a report based on these data sources, a live connection is established so that the user is looking at "live" data? I know the answer is yes for SQL Azure datasource, but want to make sure that all of the above work the same way  (or not)

No, this is about the "Direct Query" functionality which lets you connect directly from the Power BI website without using a client application to build a model. This functionality is not available for any of the SaaS sources.

thnx @curth, so when i use the desktop version, install the mysql connection things,  build my queries and modals to my external source, and upload it, the dashboard is able to refresh the live data from my live external mysql database?

Bart

You can schedule a refresh of the data up to 8x a day. That is the current limitation for on-prem data.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hmm, doesn't sound really good for mysql users.

So simplyfied: realtime web app dashboards with new data every minute is in no way possible for mysql users?

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

No, your best bet is to build an Analysis Services Tabular model on top of it and have it processed reasonably often enough to have real time dashboards for your users

Yes, though it will require the use of the "personal gateway" to do the refresh.

@Bartje

MySQL is only supported as an on premise data source. The supported online and on prem sources are listed here

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

I would like to refresh MySQL database which is on a hosted server and don't have access to the OS. (It is hosted at GoDaddy)

Do have any solution for this?

@Seth_C_Bauer yeah, this was the topic i allready came across, but what is the "on premise" data source? is that something you can only add in the desktop version and not in the webapp version?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors