Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

comma-separated decimals lost in service but working in Power BI desktop

Hello,

I'm using an MS SQL server as  datasource. From this server I load a column formatted as text in which I have "real" text, numeric entries (decimal) and empty cells. Only the numbers are what I want to display in a chart, so I remove the empty cells and the text values by the following steps in the query editor:

= Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded mytable",{{"MyColumn", type number}})
= Table.RemoveRowsWithErrors(#"Changed Type1", {"MyColumn"})

Now the problem starts, I see the column exactly as I need it formatted as decimal numbers and in Power BI Desktop everything works fine. However as soon as I publish the report to the service and refresh my dataset once through the gateway, the commas that I use as separators are lost - so 0,25 turns into 25 and 6,5 turns into 65 in my visualization.

If tried changing the locale type of my column like

= Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type", {{"MyColumn", type number}}, "de-AT")

Other things that I tried was adding a new column in which I did the tranformations and changing the locale, everything without success. I guess the service just doesn't seem to realize that I use comma-separted decimals.  

Does anyone have an idea what I can do? In the rest of the same report as well as all other reports everything works and I've not encountered the problem anywhere else, without messing around with locale format at all.

2 REPLIES 2
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can probably refer to the similar solved post for reference:http://schoennie.blogspot.com/2018/11/thousand-separator-and-decimal.html 

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Did anyone find any solution to this issue where the format of number shows correctly in Power BI Desktop (100 separator as required for Indian Number System) but changes to International Number system (1000 Separator ) when published to Service.

Is there any settings in Power BI Service due to which this issue occurrs only in Power BI Service and works perfectly fine in Power BI Desktop.

Anyone responding to the post, please note that Regional Settings in Power BI Desktop is already set to India.

Regards

Janithri

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors