Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

changing timezone of powerbi service?

Is there any way I can change the timezone of the PowerBI Service?

I read that it is effectively set at UTC which would explain why when I use TODAY() and YESTERDAY() DAX in my PBIX reports, they are fine locally, but clearly out of sync when they are published to the web service. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

We can switch time zone when add a custom column. I have tested it on my local environment.

Untitled.pngUntitled1.png

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Rajiv
Advocate I
Advocate I

I was having this issue where the times that showed in local time zone on my PowerBI Desktop, turned into UTC when published on cloud service. I was able to solve this by first adding a local timezone as table (see Showing Specific Timezones in Power BI Service (Last Refreshed Time) - YouTube). And then mark the resultant table as a Date Table as shown below. Once it is marked as a date table, it almost resets the time zone on your power bi service to local. 

Rajiv_0-1642559899488.png

Rajiv_1-1642559899325.png

P.S. This also worked on PBI Report Server where I was having the same issue.

Keano
Frequent Visitor

Using a custom column does not work if the time zone has 'Daylight saving' as the date on which the hour goes back or forward changes twice a year

In this case you must use API service to get the correct time, kinda crazy you need to get an api to external service to solve this, Microsoft should provide this as part of it's cloud service to supports demands and calls from the service

See this document fr the difernet options , method 3 is your best bet if you are in a zone with daylight saving  https://radacad.com/solving-dax-time-zone-issue-in-power-bi 

v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

We can switch time zone when add a custom column. I have tested it on my local environment.

Untitled.pngUntitled1.png

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Charlie Liao

There no such thing as minus 3 timezone. Time zone have a name to take account of the summer / winter time difference with UTC.

I am unable to add columns in Direct Query mode. Can you please let me know the solution for Direct Query mode?

There is currently no way to change time zone in Service. This other thread has some links with additional suggestions: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Set-local-time-zone-Power-BI-Service/td-p/114120

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors