Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

fuglphoenix
Frequent Visitor

change detection in live connection models

Hi

I have a source model (source.pbix) which is compose of data using import and direct query.

i've set up change detection which works as it should for the direct query datasources. the source model has been publiched to a powerbi embedded service.

when a want to create a report i create a new .pbix file where I connect to the source data model with a "live" connection. 

my problem is that the change detection doesn't seem to work with a "live" connection and the change detection is greyed out.

is that intentional or am i missing something?

fuglphoenix_0-1599221294987.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Greg_Deckler 

I decided also to play arround a little bit more.

And i found the solution. You have to enable change detection in live connected reports. 

only thing is that you can't do that in PBI desktop (it's greyed out at the moment ?!), however you can do it in pbi web UI.

after i did that, it works as expected.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@fuglphoenix - It doesn't apply to a live connection. Only the original data model requires the change detection, the other live connections are just pointing to this original data model. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler 

so eventhough that original data model has updated with the new data. the live-connected reports doesn't get that data unless you force an update on them?

@fuglphoenix - No, it is a live connection, whatever is in the original data model is reflected in the live connections. When the original data model updates, those updates are automatically reflected in the live data connections. The other connections are live, meaning real time. Think of it as Direct Query versus import. In Direct Query if new rows are added to the database, the next time you click on a report, you get the latest and greatest information from the database, no need to refresh the dataset, you are querying the dataset every time you click on a report. Live connections are the same.

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler 

That is also how it thought it would work...

but that is not what i'm seeing. when i update the datasource with the direct query connection, I see the change immediately in the source-model. but the "live" connected models still shows the old data, not even an F5 refresh will update them. I have to click "Refresh" in the ...-menu

@fuglphoenix - That sounds to me like a cacheing issue. I'd be interested to know other people's experiences with that because that is a very common usage model

Worst case, You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler 

thanks I'll try to open a support ticket.

I will post if/when I find a solution

@fuglphoenix - Yes, please @ me when you do!!

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler 

I decided also to play arround a little bit more.

And i found the solution. You have to enable change detection in live connected reports. 

only thing is that you can't do that in PBI desktop (it's greyed out at the moment ?!), however you can do it in pbi web UI.

after i did that, it works as expected.

Hi, how did u enable change detection in pbi service? For me also change detection is greyed out in desktop file.

if i remember correctly, you can only enable it in service.

which is a bit of a hassle.

since every time you publish the report. you have to go to powerbi.com and edit the report to enable change detection.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors