Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

change default permission on Roles in workspaces

Hello,

I know the roles in workspaces Power BI offers and what they allow to do in the tool. My question is if there's any way around to override those permissions as we need something between Contributor and Member.

here a reference of what each role has

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-new-workspaces#roles-in-the-new-workspaces

any ideas?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi there

What happens when a user has the contributor role and they also have been assigned as a user on the Gateway under the specific data source?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

What kind of permission do you need?Maybe I can show you a workaround,such as limitting the edit permission of dataset...

Best Regards,
Kelly

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @GilbertQ @v-kelly-msft for you quick answers.

we give contributor access to developers but seems that's not enough as they sometimes need to change the gateway connection for the dataset they are working on (SSO or embedded user/password)

Now, contributor role at workspace level isn't enough. And member/admin are definitely roles we don't want to assign as they give the option, among others, to add users and so on.

That's why we were looking any way to customize a role that meet our needs. But you guys may have way much experience on this so happy to read what ideas you may have.

if you need further details, let me know. happy to share. 

Thanks.

Hi there

What happens when a user has the contributor role and they also have been assigned as a user on the Gateway under the specific data source?

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks @GilbertQ , I will give it a try and go back to you with the outcome. 

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try to add them as users of gateway.Here is the reference.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GilbertQ , @v-kelly-msft 

Hello!

We ran the test. If we have users as Contributors and also listed as Users at DataSource level, it doesn't allow them to select the corresponding datasource in the gateway. 

They need to be assigned to the Member role to make it, but this is something we don't want as this would give them access nearly as an admin.

Hi @Anonymous ,

How about creating a gateway cluster?And add them to be the users of the primary gateway. 

Here is the reference.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks @v-kelly-msft 

It finally worked well as @GilbertQ had mentioned (Contributor at Workspace level and adding the user at Datasource level). We did not know why it had not worked when we tested this a couple of days ago...anyway, it's working as expected. Thank you both!

Awesome, thanks for letting us know!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Currently there is now way that I know of to modify the roles, you have to use those roles that are defined.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors