Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

metricks

cant load report from power bi online with azure sql

Hello everyone,

I've been having trouble with loading reports on power bi online with a direct query from Azure SQL. For what I can see there isn't any trouble with the data connection. I can refresh the data without any error and I have filled my credentials for Azure SQL. I can load the data a visualize on power bi desktop, but after I publish it and reopen it on the web I keep getting this error.  

metricks_0-1596638384808.png

translated 

Cant load the model

can not load the model scheme that is connected with the report, check if the server connection is active and try it later again, or contact the server admin... 

metricks_2-1596638978677.png

As u can see there is a connection to the server. 

any help is welcome!

2 REPLIES 2
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @metricks ,

Please check whether your Azure SQL is behind a firewall, require a VPN, or is on virtual networksIf it is, a data gateway is needed.

Reference:

On-premises data gateway FAQ

Question: Do I need a gateway for cloud data sources, such as Azure SQL Database?
Answer: No, services can generally connect to cloud data sources without a gateway. However, you might need a data gateway if your data sources are behind a firewall, require a VPN, or are on virtual networks.

Important considerations when using DirectQuery

•  Note

When using DirectQuery with an Azure SQL Database and a private IP address, an on-premises gateway is required.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

edejes2
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Hello, 

Check your configuration of data gateway in power bi service. This is a good article

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-data-sources

Best, 

ED

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors